Обсуждение: editing file after pg_dump

editing file after pg_dump

От
Kevin Heflin
Дата:
I've run pg_dump on a database, which I've done many times before, to
backup and then restore databases.

However, this time before I restore the database, I'm wanting to edit one
of the datatypes before I restore the data. As soon as I open up the file
then save it, regardless of actually making any changes.. the restore will
fail whenever it gets to the point of inserting the data.

I'm guessing it's choking because whatever text editor I'm using is hosing
the fields with long entries... I've tried opening the file with vi, pico,
and Homesite on a WindowsNT box..

Any suggestions on how to get around this?

Kevin

Kevin Heflin          | ShreveNet, Inc.      | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Mac Tech           | 333 Texas St #619    | FAX:318.221.6612
kheflin@shreve.net    | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net

Re: [GENERAL] editing file after pg_dump

От
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Дата:
Kevin Heflin wrote:

> I've run pg_dump on a database, which I've done many times before, to
> backup and then restore databases.
>
> However, this time before I restore the database, I'm wanting to edit one
> of the datatypes before I restore the data. As soon as I open up the file
> then save it, regardless of actually making any changes.. the restore will
> fail whenever it gets to the point of inserting the data.
>
> I'm guessing it's choking because whatever text editor I'm using is hosing
> the fields with long entries... I've tried opening the file with vi, pico,
> and Homesite on a WindowsNT box..
>
> Any suggestions on how to get around this?

you might try dumping the schema and data separately:

pg_dump -a yourdb >yourdb.data
pg_dump -s yourdb >yourdb.schema

then edit the schema without touching the data, then

psql newdb <yourdb.schema
psql newdb <yourdb.data

For speed, you may want to split the schema where the indeces are
created, and run that after the data load.

psql newdb <yourdb.schema.tables
psql newdb <yourdb.data
psql newdb <yourdb.schema.indices

HTH,

Ross
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer

Re: [GENERAL] editing file after pg_dump

От
Kevin Heflin
Дата:
On Thu, 18 Mar 1999, Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:

> you might try dumping the schema and data separately:
>
> pg_dump -a yourdb >yourdb.data
> pg_dump -s yourdb >yourdb.schema
>
> then edit the schema without touching the data, then
>
> psql newdb <yourdb.schema
> psql newdb <yourdb.data

Thanks for the tip.. I'll try that.

Kevin

Kevin Heflin          | ShreveNet, Inc.      | Ph:318.222.2638 x103
VP/Mac Tech           | 333 Texas St #619    | FAX:318.221.6612
kheflin@shreve.net    | Shreveport, LA 71101 | http://www.shreve.net

FATAL 1:btree: BTP_CHAIN flag was expected (vacuum command)

От
"Jay W. Summet"
Дата:
When I try to vacuum, or vacuum analyze my database, I get the
following error:
FATAL 1:btree: BTP_CHAIN flag was expected

I've tried the following two commands:
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -c "vacuum analyze;" billing
and
/usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -c "vacuum;" billing

The top command used to work (for the last few years), so I assume
that something has changed with my data. Otherwise, the database
appears to be working ok.

Any pointers? I'm thinking about dumping all the data and
re-inserting it...
Jay Summet

Re: [GENERAL] FATAL 1:btree: BTP_CHAIN flag was expected (vacuum command)

От
The Hermit Hacker
Дата:
On Thu, 25 Mar 1999, Jay W. Summet wrote:

> When I try to vacuum, or vacuum analyze my database, I get the
> following error:
> FATAL 1:btree: BTP_CHAIN flag was expected
>
> I've tried the following two commands:
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -c "vacuum analyze;" billing
> and
> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -c "vacuum;" billing
>
> The top command used to work (for the last few years), so I assume
> that something has changed with my data. Otherwise, the database
> appears to be working ok.
>
> Any pointers? I'm thinking about dumping all the data and
> re-inserting it...

Try just drop'ng and rebuilding your indices...

Systems Administrator @ hub.org