Обсуждение: problem of upper/lower case in table names

problem of upper/lower case in table names

От
Charles-Edouard Ruault
Дата:
Hi all,

i've got this annoying problem : if you create a table with an uppercase
name, postgres transforms it in lower case. After that, if you try to
retrieve the primary keys for this table ( still using the uppercase
name as argument ) using the JDBC driver
DatabaseMetaData.getPrimaryKeys(), it always return an empty result set
since the SQL command used in the driver requests a case sensitive match
for the table name ( and bc.relname ~ table ).
I've a workaround in the driver ( using bc.relname ~* table ) but i'd
like to know who's fault it is ( mine or postgres ) ....
Thanks for your advices & help

NB : i'm using postgres 6.4 with jdbc driver included in this release.

Re: [GENERAL] problem of upper/lower case in table names

От
"Jay O'Connor"
Дата:
>Hi all,
>
>i've got this annoying problem : if you create a table with an uppercase
>name, postgres transforms it in lower case. After that, if you try to
>retrieve the primary keys for this table ( still using the uppercase
>name as argument ) using the JDBC driver
>DatabaseMetaData.getPrimaryKeys(), it always return an empty result set
>since the SQL command used in the driver requests a case sensitive match
>for the table name ( and bc.relname ~ table ).
>I've a workaround in the driver ( using bc.relname ~* table ) but i'd
>like to know who's fault it is ( mine or postgres ) ....
>Thanks for your advices & help

I've run into the same problem just creating a table with a name including an
uppercase.  The name gets converted to all lowercase but then I seem unable to
DROP the table.

--
Jay O'Connor
joconnor@roadrunner.com

"God himself plays the bass strings first when He tunes the soul"

RE: [GENERAL] problem of upper/lower case in table names

От
"Taral"
Дата:
> >i've got this annoying problem : if you create a table with an uppercase
> >name, postgres transforms it in lower case. After that, if you try to
> >retrieve the primary keys for this table ( still using the uppercase
> >name as argument ) using the JDBC driver
> >DatabaseMetaData.getPrimaryKeys(), it always return an empty result set
> >since the SQL command used in the driver requests a case sensitive match
> >for the table name ( and bc.relname ~ table ).
> >I've a workaround in the driver ( using bc.relname ~* table ) but i'd
> >like to know who's fault it is ( mine or postgres ) ....
> >Thanks for your advices & help

Try quoting the names... i.e. CREATE TABLE "TEST" etc.

Taral

Re: [INTERFACES] problem of upper/lower case in table names

От
Peter T Mount
Дата:
On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Charles-Edouard Ruault wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> i've got this annoying problem : if you create a table with an uppercase
> name, postgres transforms it in lower case. After that, if you try to
> retrieve the primary keys for this table ( still using the uppercase
> name as argument ) using the JDBC driver
> DatabaseMetaData.getPrimaryKeys(), it always return an empty result set
> since the SQL command used in the driver requests a case sensitive match
> for the table name ( and bc.relname ~ table ).
> I've a workaround in the driver ( using bc.relname ~* table ) but i'd
> like to know who's fault it is ( mine or postgres ) ....
> Thanks for your advices & help

It looks like the drivers. I'll check both this and the primary key
problem today, and will get back to you.

       Peter T Mount peter@retep.org.uk
      Main Homepage: http://www.retep.org.uk

RE: [GENERAL] problem of upper/lower case in table names

От
Postgres DBA

On Tue, 17 Nov 1998, Taral wrote:

> > >i've got this annoying problem : if you create a table with an uppercase
> > >name, postgres transforms it in lower case. After that, if you try to
> > >retrieve the primary keys for this table ( still using the uppercase
> > >name as argument ) using the JDBC driver
> > >DatabaseMetaData.getPrimaryKeys(), it always return an empty result set
> > >since the SQL command used in the driver requests a case sensitive match
> > >for the table name ( and bc.relname ~ table ).
> > >I've a workaround in the driver ( using bc.relname ~* table ) but i'd
> > >like to know who's fault it is ( mine or postgres ) ....
> > >Thanks for your advices & help
>
> Try quoting the names... i.e. CREATE TABLE "TEST" etc.

Very important note: quoting names of tables, indicies, fields etc. SHOULD
solve this problem, but be careful! As far as I know there are some bugs
related to usage of capital letters in tables and indicies names, so wait
for officail patch that should be published during next few days with
6.4.1 release  (or try to found one on hackers' list archive).

Aleksey