Обсуждение: hot_standby_feedback and max_standby_archive_delay

hot_standby_feedback and max_standby_archive_delay

От
Marko Tiikkaja
Дата:
Hi,

Myself and others found this statement in the documentation about
$SUBJECT very confusing: "max_standby_archive_delay must be kept large
in this case, because delayed WAL files might already contain entries
that conflict with the desired standby queries.".  After a chat with
Andres I've tried to make it clearer what said statement tries to convey.

Did I succeed?

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja

Вложения

Re: hot_standby_feedback and max_standby_archive_delay

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Myself and others found this statement in the documentation about $SUBJECT
> very confusing: "max_standby_archive_delay must be kept large in this case,
> because delayed WAL files might already contain entries that conflict with
> the desired standby queries.".  After a chat with Andres I've tried to make
> it clearer what said statement tries to convey.
>
> Did I succeed?

Don't we need to increase also max_standby_streaming_delay
in the case that you mentioned in the patch? When the standby
successfully reconnects to the master, lots of WAL files would
be streamed and they might already have WAL entries that
conflict with standby queries. No?

Fujii Masao

Re: hot_standby_feedback and max_standby_archive_delay

Дата:
On Mon, Feb  3, 2014 at 01:08:44AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Myself and others found this statement in the documentation about $SUBJECT
> > very confusing: "max_standby_archive_delay must be kept large in this case,
> > because delayed WAL files might already contain entries that conflict with
> > the desired standby queries.".  After a chat with Andres I've tried to make
> > it clearer what said statement tries to convey.
> >
> > Did I succeed?
>
> Don't we need to increase also max_standby_streaming_delay
> in the case that you mentioned in the patch? When the standby
> successfully reconnects to the master, lots of WAL files would
> be streamed and they might already have WAL entries that
> conflict with standby queries. No?

I have developed the attached doc patch to improve the wording on this
topic.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения

Re: hot_standby_feedback and max_standby_archive_delay

Дата:
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 02:51:15PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Feb  3, 2014 at 01:08:44AM +0900, Fujii Masao wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 8:38 AM, Marko Tiikkaja <marko@joh.to> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Myself and others found this statement in the documentation about $SUBJECT
> > > very confusing: "max_standby_archive_delay must be kept large in this case,
> > > because delayed WAL files might already contain entries that conflict with
> > > the desired standby queries.".  After a chat with Andres I've tried to make
> > > it clearer what said statement tries to convey.
> > >
> > > Did I succeed?
> >
> > Don't we need to increase also max_standby_streaming_delay
> > in the case that you mentioned in the patch? When the standby
> > successfully reconnects to the master, lots of WAL files would
> > be streamed and they might already have WAL entries that
> > conflict with standby queries. No?
>
> I have developed the attached doc patch to improve the wording on this
> topic.

Patch applied.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Re: hot_standby_feedback and max_standby_archive_delay

От
Marko Tiikkaja
Дата:
On 4/16/14, 9:51 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have developed the attached doc patch to improve the wording on this
> topic.

I think this is an eloquent phrasing of my understanding of what the
original text tried to convey.

Regards,
Marko Tiikkaja