Обсуждение: misleading lang_name case in CREATE FUNCTION doc.

misleading lang_name case in CREATE FUNCTION doc.

От
Marc Mamin
Дата:
Hi,
you might want to lowercase the language names in order to be compatible with the case restriction introduced in  9.2.
or add a sentence like
'when using single quotes, the names  are case sensitive (with is lowercase for most (all?) languages).

regards,

Marc Mamin

lang_name

    The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
    Can be SQL, C, internal, or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
    For backward compatibility, the name can be enclosed by single quotes.

No longer forcibly lowercase procedural language names in CREATE FUNCTION (Robert Haas)

While unquoted language identifiers are still lowercased,
strings and quoted identifiers are no longer forcibly down-cased.
Thus for example CREATE FUNCTION ... LANGUAGE 'C' will no longer work;
it must be spelled 'c', or better omit the quotes.

Re: misleading lang_name case in CREATE FUNCTION doc.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Fri, 2013-10-11 at 08:37 +0000, Marc Mamin wrote:
> Hi,
> you might want to lowercase the language names in order to be
> compatible with the case restriction introduced in  9.2.
> or add a sentence like
> 'when using single quotes, the names  are case sensitive (with is
> lowercase for most (all?) languages).

Yeah, I'm having trouble coming up with a wording that is sufficiently
brief.  We don't want the backward compatibility text to be longer than
the main description, I think.

Re: misleading lang_name case in CREATE FUNCTION doc.

От
Marc Mamin

something like :?

The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
Can be 'sql', 'c', 'internal', or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
Single quotes are optional, they required correct case when used.

regards,

Marc Mamin

Re: misleading lang_name case in CREATE FUNCTION doc.

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 11/13/13, 9:02 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:
> something like :?
>
> The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
> Can be 'sql', 'c', 'internal', or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
> Single quotes are optional, they required correct case when used.

That would make the deprecated syntax more prominent than the
non-deprecated one.  We want to get rid of the single quotes.

Re: misleading lang_name case in CREATE FUNCTION doc.

От
Marc Mamin
>Von: Peter Eisentraut [peter_e@gmx.net]

>>On 11/13/13, 9:02 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:
>> something like :?
>>
>> The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
>> Can be 'sql', 'c', 'internal', or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
>> Single quotes are optional, they required correct case when used.

>That would make the deprecated syntax more prominent than the
>non-deprecated one.  We want to get rid of the single quotes.

Ok, next try :)

The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
Can be sql, c, internal, or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
Single quotes are deprecated. They require  correct case when used.

regards,
Marc Mamin

On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 07:28:17PM +0000, Marc Mamin wrote:

> >Von: Peter Eisentraut [peter_e@gmx.net]
>
> >>On 11/13/13, 9:02 AM, Marc Mamin wrote:
> >> something like :?
> >>
> >> The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
> >> Can be 'sql', 'c', 'internal', or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
> >> Single quotes are optional, they required correct case when used.
>
> >That would make the deprecated syntax more prominent than the
> >non-deprecated one.  We want to get rid of the single quotes.
>
> Ok, next try :)
>
> The name of the language that the function is implemented in.
> Can be sql, c, internal, or the name of a user-defined procedural language.
> Single quotes are deprecated. They require  correct case when used.

I have applied the attached patch to improve the wording.  Thanks for
the report.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения