Обсуждение: Russian translation publication

Russian translation publication

От
Alexander Law
Дата:
Hello,

I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL
documentation and want to publish my work.
Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will contain
my translation?
Can I make it paid?
Should I add some special notices to the doc?

If you're interested in it, I can send you my translation.
When the translation will be completed I would be happy to see it as
existing official Japan and French manuals.

Best wishes,
Alexander

Re: Russian translation publication

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Alexander Law escribió:
> Hello,
>
> I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL
> documentation and want to publish my work.
> Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will
> contain my translation?
> Can I make it paid?
> Should I add some special notices to the doc?

The manuals are BSD-licensed, just like the source code is.  You can do
anything you want with it; selling a translation is certainly an option
and has been done before.  I don't think you are required to add notices
(but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.

> If you're interested in it, I can send you my translation.
> When the translation will be completed I would be happy to see it as
> existing official Japan and French manuals.

That sounds great.

Re: Russian translation publication

От
Magnus Hagander

On Mar 5, 2013 4:09 PM, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Alexander Law escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL
> > documentation and want to publish my work.
> > Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will
> > contain my translation?
> > Can I make it paid?
> > Should I add some special notices to the doc?
>
> The manuals are BSD-licensed, just like the source code is.  You can do
> anything you want with it; selling a translation is certainly an option
> and has been done before.  I don't think you are required to add notices
> (but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what it says. We would of course always appreciate a link back.

We've had others who've actually paid us a royalty on their sales, but that's been purely voluntary.

Note that as long as it's paid for its not going to get linked from the pg websites of course.

> > If you're interested in it, I can send you my translation.
> > When the translation will be completed I would be happy to see it as
> > existing official Japan and French manuals.
>
> That sounds great.

+1,that would be excellent.

/Magnus

Re: Russian translation publication

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On 3/5/13 10:08 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alexander Law escribió:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL
>> documentation and want to publish my work.
>> Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will
>> contain my translation?
>> Can I make it paid?
>> Should I add some special notices to the doc?
>
> The manuals are BSD-licensed, just like the source code is.  You can do
> anything you want with it; selling a translation is certainly an option
> and has been done before.  I don't think you are required to add notices
> (but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.

"Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
agreement is hereby granted, ***provided that the above copyright notice
and this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all
copies***." [my emphasis]

In a book, this would typically appear in the imprint on one of the
first few pages.  (This happens automatically if you use the DocBook
sources and the standard toolchains.)

Re: Russian translation publication

От
Alexander Law
Дата:
06.03.2013 02:13, Peter Eisentraut пишет:
> On 3/5/13 10:08 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Alexander Law escribió:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have translated into Russian first two parts of the PostgreSQL
>>> documentation and want to publish my work.
>>> Can I create app for Google Play Market as an e-book that will
>>> contain my translation?
>>> Can I make it paid?
>>> Should I add some special notices to the doc?
>> The manuals are BSD-licensed, just like the source code is.  You can do
>> anything you want with it; selling a translation is certainly an option
>> and has been done before.  I don't think you are required to add notices
>> (but you're free to do so if you wish).  IANAL.
> "Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation for any purpose, without fee, and without a written
> agreement is hereby granted, ***provided that the above copyright notice
> and this paragraph and the following two paragraphs appear in all
> copies***." [my emphasis]
>
> In a book, this would typically appear in the imprint on one of the
> first few pages.  (This happens automatically if you use the DocBook
> sources and the standard toolchains.)

Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I will make the pdf from the docbook, just adding myself as a
translator (in section "othercredit").

Best regards,
Alexander