Обсуждение: Behaviour of sql language function

Behaviour of sql language function

От
Marcelo Sena
Дата:
Hi all I noticed the following beaviour, if a command in a sql function fails the other statements fail like if the entire function where surrounded by a begin-commit block. While I find this behaviour nice, as far as I could find, this behaviour is not documented[1]. I wished to create a function that depends on such way of working but I cannot trust that sql functions will continue to work that way on the next postgresql versions.

So, is it documented somewhere?

I'm linking to a pastebin file that exemplifies the behaviour.

[1] - http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createfunction.html
[2] - http://pastebin.com/LWfFgH7L
--
Marcelo Lacerda

Re: Behaviour of sql language function

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/tutorial-transactions.html

| PostgreSQL actually treats every SQL statement as being executed
| within a transaction. If you do not issue a BEGIN command, then
| each individual statement has an implicit BEGIN and (if
| successful) COMMIT wrapped around it.

Combine this with the fact that a function can only run in the
context of a command, like:

    SELECT func_name();

You have your guarantee -- as long as you understand the possible
action of subtransactions (like savepoints).

-Kevin

Re: Behaviour of sql language function

От
Marcelo Sena
Дата:
Oh, nice, I haven't noticed that fact. Thanks!

--
Marcelo Lacerda