Обсуждение: Foreign server version and type

Foreign server version and type

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
Hi,

I'm looking at the CREATE SERVER page on the documentation (http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createserver.html) and noticed that there's a server_version parameter which can be provided with the keyword VERSION and server_type specified after TYPE.

However, there's zero information about what these are used for, whether they have any bearing on anything or why you'd want to use them.  Are these parameters used for anything, or are they purely for future functionality?  Whatever the case, could some kind of elaboration be added to justify the existence of these options?  They have been in the docs since the CREATE SERVER syntax was introduced in 8.4.

Thanks

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Foreign server version and type

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 15.08.2011 19:58, Thom Brown wrote:
> I'm looking at the CREATE SERVER page on the documentation (
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createserver.html) and noticed
> that there's a server_version parameter which can be provided with the
> keyword VERSION and server_type specified after TYPE.
>
> However, there's zero information about what these are used for, whether
> they have any bearing on anything or why you'd want to use them.  Are these
> parameters used for anything, or are they purely for future functionality?
>   Whatever the case, could some kind of elaboration be added to justify the
> existence of these options?  They have been in the docs since the CREATE
> SERVER syntax was introduced in 8.4.

It's in the SQL spec. It isn't used anything by PostgreSQL itself, but a
wrapper could look at it. It would probably be good to say that
explicitly in the docs.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: Foreign server version and type

Дата:
On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 08:36:36PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 15.08.2011 19:58, Thom Brown wrote:
> >I'm looking at the CREATE SERVER page on the documentation (
> >http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createserver.html) and noticed
> >that there's a server_version parameter which can be provided with the
> >keyword VERSION and server_type specified after TYPE.
> >
> >However, there's zero information about what these are used for, whether
> >they have any bearing on anything or why you'd want to use them.  Are these
> >parameters used for anything, or are they purely for future functionality?
> >  Whatever the case, could some kind of elaboration be added to justify the
> >existence of these options?  They have been in the docs since the CREATE
> >SERVER syntax was introduced in 8.4.
>
> It's in the SQL spec. It isn't used anything by PostgreSQL itself,
> but a wrapper could look at it. It would probably be good to say
> that explicitly in the docs.

I have applied the attached patch to document that these fields are only
potentially useful to foreign data wrappers.

Re: Foreign server version and type

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 15 August 2012 16:47, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 08:36:36PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 15.08.2011 19:58, Thom Brown wrote:
>> >I'm looking at the CREATE SERVER page on the documentation (
>> >http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/sql-createserver.html) and noticed
>> >that there's a server_version parameter which can be provided with the
>> >keyword VERSION and server_type specified after TYPE.
>> >
>> >However, there's zero information about what these are used for, whether
>> >they have any bearing on anything or why you'd want to use them.  Are these
>> >parameters used for anything, or are they purely for future functionality?
>> >  Whatever the case, could some kind of elaboration be added to justify the
>> >existence of these options?  They have been in the docs since the CREATE
>> >SERVER syntax was introduced in 8.4.
>>
>> It's in the SQL spec. It isn't used anything by PostgreSQL itself,
>> but a wrapper could look at it. It would probably be good to say
>> that explicitly in the docs.
>
> I have applied the attached patch to document that these fields are only
> potentially useful to foreign data wrappers.

Thanks Bruce, and a very belated thanks to Heikki for the explanation.

--
Thom