Обсуждение: CIDR address in pg_hba.conf

CIDR address in pg_hba.conf

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
Hi,

http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
> An IP address is specified in standard dotted decimal notation with
> a CIDR mask length. The mask length indicates the number of
> high-order bits of the client IP address that must match. Bits to the
> right of this must be zero in the given IP address.

Is the last statement correct? When I specified the following setting
in pg_hba.conf, I could not find any problem in PostgreSQL.

    host  all  all  192.168.1.99/24  trust

As far as I read the code, those bits seem not to need to be zero.
Attached patch just removes that statement.

Fujii Masao
NTT Open Source Software Center

Вложения

Re: CIDR address in pg_hba.conf

Дата:
Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>> An IP address is specified in standard dotted decimal notation with
>> a CIDR mask length. The mask length indicates the number of
>> high-order bits of the client IP address that must match. Bits to the
>> right of this must be zero in the given IP address.

> Is the last statement correct? When I specified the following setting
> in pg_hba.conf, I could not find any problem in PostgreSQL.

>     host  all  all  192.168.1.99/24  trust

> As far as I read the code, those bits seem not to need to be zero.
> Attached patch just removes that statement.

Even if it happens to work that way at the moment, do we want to
encourage people to depend on such an implementation artifact?

IOW, if you read "must" as "if you want to trust it to work in future
versions, you must", the advice is perfectly sound.

            regards, tom lane

Re: CIDR address in pg_hba.conf

От
Fujii Masao
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:56 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>> http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>>> An IP address is specified in standard dotted decimal notation with
>>> a CIDR mask length. The mask length indicates the number of
>>> high-order bits of the client IP address that must match. Bits to the
>>> right of this must be zero in the given IP address.
>
>> Is the last statement correct? When I specified the following setting
>> in pg_hba.conf, I could not find any problem in PostgreSQL.
>
>>     host  all  all  192.168.1.99/24  trust
>
>> As far as I read the code, those bits seem not to need to be zero.
>> Attached patch just removes that statement.
>
> Even if it happens to work that way at the moment, do we want to
> encourage people to depend on such an implementation artifact?
>
> IOW, if you read "must" as "if you want to trust it to work in future
> versions, you must", the advice is perfectly sound.

Okay. Sounds reasonable. I drop the patch.

Tom Lane wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
> > http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
> >> An IP address is specified in standard dotted decimal notation with
> >> a CIDR mask length. The mask length indicates the number of
> >> high-order bits of the client IP address that must match. Bits to the
> >> right of this must be zero in the given IP address.
>
> > Is the last statement correct? When I specified the following setting
> > in pg_hba.conf, I could not find any problem in PostgreSQL.
>
> >     host  all  all  192.168.1.99/24  trust
>
> > As far as I read the code, those bits seem not to need to be zero.
> > Attached patch just removes that statement.
>
> Even if it happens to work that way at the moment, do we want to
> encourage people to depend on such an implementation artifact?
>
> IOW, if you read "must" as "if you want to trust it to work in future
> versions, you must", the advice is perfectly sound.

Should we use "should"?

> >> right of this should be zero in the given IP address.

Re: CIDR address in pg_hba.conf

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>> > http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/auth-pg-hba-conf.html
>>
>> > Is the last statement correct? When I specified the following setting
>> > in pg_hba.conf, I could not find any problem in PostgreSQL.
>>
>> >     host  all  all  192.168.1.99/24  trust
>>
>> > As far as I read the code, those bits seem not to need to be zero.
>> > Attached patch just removes that statement.
>>
>> Even if it happens to work that way at the moment, do we want to
>> encourage people to depend on such an implementation artifact?
>>
>> IOW, if you read "must" as "if you want to trust it to work in future
>> versions, you must", the advice is perfectly sound.
>
> Should we use "should"?

+1.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: CIDR address in pg_hba.conf

Дата:
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 8:42 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Even if it happens to work that way at the moment, do we want to
> >> encourage people to depend on such an implementation artifact?
> >>
> >> IOW, if you read "must" as "if you want to trust it to work in future
> >> versions, you must", the advice is perfectly sound.
> >
> > Should we use "should"?
>
> +1.

Thanks for the feedback.  Patched in head and 9.1.