Обсуждение: characters or bytes?

characters or bytes?

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
Hello,

During translating start.sgml - I found a sentence where I am not sure
if it is correct.

tutorial-createdb.html

Second paragraph below the "permission denied to create a database"
error message there is
the sentence:

" You can also create databases with other names. PostgreSQL allows
you to create any number of databases at a given site. Database names
must have an alphabetic first character and are limited to 63 characters
in length. ..."

Really 63 characters?
Shouldn't it be 63 bytes?

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

patch for createdb section in tutorial

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
Hello,

During translating the docs I found the following sentence
in the tutorial section about createdb:

"Database names must have an alphabetic first character
and are limited to 63 characters"

I wondered - really characters? shouldn't it be bytes?

I just tested - creating a database by using German umlauts
let me get sure - it are bytes not characters.

Here is the patch with the correction - I just changed the word
characters into bytes.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com

Вложения

Re: patch for createdb section in tutorial

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Susanne Ebrecht
<susanne@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During translating the docs I found the following sentence
> in the tutorial section about createdb:
>
> "Database names must have an alphabetic first character
> and are limited to 63 characters"
>
> I wondered - really characters? shouldn't it be bytes?
>
> I just tested - creating a database by using German umlauts
> let me get sure - it are bytes not characters.
>
> Here is the patch with the correction - I just changed the word
> characters into bytes.

Committed and back-patched all the way.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: characters or bytes?

Дата:
Susanne Ebrecht wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During translating start.sgml - I found a sentence where I am not sure
> if it is correct.
>
> tutorial-createdb.html
>
> Second paragraph below the "permission denied to create a database"
> error message there is
> the sentence:
>
> " You can also create databases with other names. PostgreSQL allows
> you to create any number of databases at a given site. Database names
> must have an alphabetic first character and are limited to 63 characters
> in length. ..."
>
> Really 63 characters?
> Shouldn't it be 63 bytes?

Susanne, not sure you received a reply, but the documention has been
corrected to say "bytes".  Thanks.

Re: characters or bytes?

От
Susanne Ebrecht
Дата:
On 05.05.2011 18:25, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Really 63 characters?
>> Shouldn't it be 63 bytes?
>>
> Susanne, not sure you received a reply, but the documention has been
> corrected to say "bytes".  Thanks.

Bruce,

that is nice.
I got the answer already a few minutes after asking.

Anyway, thanks for taking care and replying,

Susanne