Обсуждение: Is timestamptz alias documented?

Is timestamptz alias documented?

От
Chris
Дата:
I have been unable to find where it is mentioned that timestamptz can be used as shorthand for 'timestamp with time zone'. I discovered I could use it by trying it out after I saw someone else use it. Is this a new alias, or has it been around for some time? I am using 9.0, and have not tried it on earlier versions.

I think it would be helpful to note this somewhere on the Date/Time Types page.

Chris

Re: Is timestamptz alias documented?

Дата:
Chris <ctlajoie@gmail.com> writes:
> I have been unable to find where it is mentioned that timestamptz can be
> used as shorthand for 'timestamp with time zone'.

See table 8-1 here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/datatype.html

We don't emphasize it, since it's a nonstandard Postgres-ism.

> Is this a new alias, or
> has it been around for some time?

It's been around since the '90s I'm sure, maybe even back to Berkeley days.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Is timestamptz alias documented?

От
Chris
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> See table 8-1 here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/datatype.html
>
> We don't emphasize it, since it's a nonstandard Postgres-ism.

Thanks. I guess I understand why you don't want to emphasize a
non-standard Postgres feature. But why doesn't that page show up when
I do a search?

http://search.postgresql.org/search?u=/docs/9.0/static/&q=timestamptz

Chris

Re: Is timestamptz alias documented?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar dic 07 15:35:53 -0300 2010:
> Chris <ctlajoie@gmail.com> writes:

> > Is this a new alias, or
> > has it been around for some time?
>
> It's been around since the '90s I'm sure, maybe even back to Berkeley days.

It appeared later; "timestamp" was the alias for "timestamp with time
zone" previously.  But this was against the SQL standard so the new
alias was introduced as a backwards incompatible change.  There are no
hits for a "grep -r timestamptz src/backend" in 7.1, but they are there
in 7.2.  2002 or so, then.

Re: Is timestamptz alias documented?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar dic 07 15:35:53 -0300 2010:
>> Chris <ctlajoie@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> > Is this a new alias, or
>> > has it been around for some time?
>>
>> It's been around since the '90s I'm sure, maybe even back to Berkeley days.
>
> It appeared later; "timestamp" was the alias for "timestamp with time
> zone" previously.  But this was against the SQL standard so the new
> alias was introduced as a backwards incompatible change.  There are no
> hits for a "grep -r timestamptz src/backend" in 7.1, but they are there
> in 7.2.  2002 or so, then.

I think it'd be helpful to make brief mention of this in the section
on "Date/Time Types", perhaps along the lines of the attached patch.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Вложения