Обсуждение: commit_delay and commit_siblings -- restart or reload?

commit_delay and commit_siblings -- restart or reload?

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
The documentation for commit_delay and commit_siblings doesn't mention whether
a reload or restart is required to set them. I recommend something like the
trivial attached docs patch to make it clear(er) that a reload is required.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation

Вложения

Re: commit_delay and commit_siblings -- restart or reload?

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> wrote:
> The documentation for commit_delay and commit_siblings doesn't mention whether
> a reload or restart is required to set them. I recommend something like the
> trivial attached docs patch to make it clear(er) that a reload is required.

These parameters are PGC_USERSET - a reload is not the only way to change them.

Of course, changing any parameter in postgresql.conf won't take effect
unless you reload, but the point of that sentence, in the other places
where we use it, is that you can't change those parameters using
things like ALTER DATABASE ... SET, ALTER USER ... SET, just plain
SET, etc.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company

Re: commit_delay and commit_siblings -- restart or reload?

От
Joshua Tolley
Дата:
On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 03:33:24PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The documentation for commit_delay and commit_siblings doesn't mention whether
> > a reload or restart is required to set them. I recommend something like the
> > trivial attached docs patch to make it clear(er) that a reload is required.
>
> These parameters are PGC_USERSET - a reload is not the only way to change them.
>
> Of course, changing any parameter in postgresql.conf won't take effect
> unless you reload, but the point of that sentence, in the other places
> where we use it, is that you can't change those parameters using
> things like ALTER DATABASE ... SET, ALTER USER ... SET, just plain
> SET, etc.

Ah, you're right. My mistake -- thanks.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap