Обсуждение: Magic Blocks

Magic Blocks

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
I've just solved a problem with referencing magic blocks in plugins.

I can't see anything documented on this and I suspect others have seen
this before...
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-04/msg00908.php

While compiling with PGXS, the OBJS line said
    OBJS    = modulename.so

which then gave the error
ERROR:   .... missing magic block

By changing the OBJS line to this
    OBJS    = modulename.o

then no error was received and it all works.

TFM just says "list objects files in OBJS".

It's a minor docs issue, but if y'all agree then we should add a few
more lines of wisdom in this area.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Magic Blocks

Дата:
> While compiling with PGXS, the OBJS line said
>     OBJS    = modulename.so

> By changing the OBJS line to this
>     OBJS    = modulename.o

> then no error was received and it all works.

> TFM just says "list objects files in OBJS".

Are we really in the business of teaching C programmers the difference
between object files and shared libraries?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Magic Blocks

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
> > While compiling with PGXS, the OBJS line said
> >     OBJS    = modulename.so
>
> > By changing the OBJS line to this
> >     OBJS    = modulename.o
>
> > then no error was received and it all works.
>
> > TFM just says "list objects files in OBJS".
>
> Are we really in the business of teaching C programmers the difference
> between object files and shared libraries?

It's a stupid mistake, but aren't most bugs, in hindsight? That's no
reason to leave it undocumented.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Magic Blocks

Дата:
> It's a stupid mistake, but aren't most bugs, in hindsight? That's no
> reason to leave it undocumented.

No, but documentation bloat is.  If this were the tenth report of the
same mistake I'd be the first to agree that it was worth a paragraph.
But we have only *one* report.  Furthermore, there is no reason to think
that the symptoms are consistent across platforms or PG versions, so
I don't even know what the paragraph should say.

            regards, tom lane