Обсуждение: SGML docs and pdf single-quotes

SGML docs and pdf single-quotes

От
"E. Rijkers"
Дата:
Hi all,

  Using the pdf version of the postgres manual I wonder if
it wouldn't be better to replace single-quotes inside
<programlisting> with ' (apostrophe).

There are two advantages:

  1. it makes it possible to copy-and-paste examples from
the pdf file.

  2. it prevents running together of two (or more)
single-quotes into a single double-quote.

Both problems occur only in pdf, not in html.

A disadvantage is that sgml source files become less
human-readable.

I compiled such a converted pdf with the attached perl
program.

The perl program can easily be made to generate the diffs
for all sgml files;  I'll do that if it is considered
useful. On the other hand, maybe this conversion of  ' to
&apod;  should be built into the xslt processing (to leave
the sgml more readable)?

Erik Rijkers

Re: SGML docs and pdf single-quotes

Дата:
"E. Rijkers" <er@xs4all.nl> writes:
>   Using the pdf version of the postgres manual I wonder if
> it wouldn't be better to replace single-quotes inside
> <programlisting> with ' (apostrophe).

Having to deal with entity-izing & and < is bad enough;
doing it for ' is something up with which I will not put.

> On the other hand, maybe this conversion of  ' to
> &apod;  should be built into the xslt processing (to leave
> the sgml more readable)?

That would be tolerable.

            regards, tom lane

Re: SGML docs and pdf single-quotes

Added to TODO:

* Convert single quotes to apostrophes in the PDF documentation

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-docs/2007-12/msg00059.php