Обсуждение: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

FAQ -- Index usage/speed

От
Thomas F.O'Connell
Дата:
Bruce,

Considering the activity on the lists (at least recently and, I think,
historically) about postgres not casting (usually integer) constant
values across types, could there be a mention of this made in the FAQ?
It seems like a logical case for inclusion under 4.8:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html#4.8

I was thinking something like the following:

Also note that 7.x versions of postgres will not automatically cast
constant data in certain queries such that an index would be used. For
example, if you have the following:

CREATE TABLE index_breaker (
    bigintcol        int8 primary key
    some_data     text
);

The following query is liikely to perform a sequential scan:

SELECT some_data FROM index_breaker WHERE bigintcol = 42;

postgres will interpret the constant value as a basic int and will thus
not use the index (implicitly created by the primary key) on the
bigintcol column.

There are some workarounds for this issue [per Tom Lane]:

1. Always quote your constants:

    ... WHERE bigintcol = '42';

Similarly, constants can be explicitly cast:

    ... WHERE bigintcol = int8( 42 )

2. Use a prepared statement:

    PREPARE foo(bigint) AS ... WHERE bigintcol = $1;
    EXECUTE foo(42);

3. Use parameterized statements in extended-query mode (essentially the
same idea as #2, but at the protocol level).  This doesn't help for
pure SQL scripts, but is very workable when coding against libpq or
JDBC.  Among other things it gets you out of worrying about SQL
injection attacks when your parameter values come from untrusted
sources.

Technical improvements to wording are welcome. But I think this is
worth adding to the docs somewhere.

Thanks!

-tfo

Re: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

Дата:
Yes, 4.8 would be the right spot.  Not sure why we got so many reports
recently though.

However, with this fixed in 8.0, it probably isn't worth adding to the
FAQ.

Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> Considering the activity on the lists (at least recently and, I think,
> historically) about postgres not casting (usually integer) constant
> values across types, could there be a mention of this made in the FAQ?
> It seems like a logical case for inclusion under 4.8:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs/FAQ.html#4.8
>
> I was thinking something like the following:
>
> Also note that 7.x versions of postgres will not automatically cast
> constant data in certain queries such that an index would be used. For
> example, if you have the following:
>
> CREATE TABLE index_breaker (
>     bigintcol        int8 primary key
>     some_data     text
> );
>
> The following query is liikely to perform a sequential scan:
>
> SELECT some_data FROM index_breaker WHERE bigintcol = 42;
>
> postgres will interpret the constant value as a basic int and will thus
> not use the index (implicitly created by the primary key) on the
> bigintcol column.
>
> There are some workarounds for this issue [per Tom Lane]:
>
> 1. Always quote your constants:
>
>     ... WHERE bigintcol = '42';
>
> Similarly, constants can be explicitly cast:
>
>     ... WHERE bigintcol = int8( 42 )
>
> 2. Use a prepared statement:
>
>     PREPARE foo(bigint) AS ... WHERE bigintcol = $1;
>     EXECUTE foo(42);
>
> 3. Use parameterized statements in extended-query mode (essentially the
> same idea as #2, but at the protocol level).  This doesn't help for
> pure SQL scripts, but is very workable when coding against libpq or
> JDBC.  Among other things it gets you out of worrying about SQL
> injection attacks when your parameter values come from untrusted
> sources.
>

> Technical improvements to wording are welcome. But I think this is
> worth adding to the docs somewhere.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -tfo

Re: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

От
Thomas F.O'Connell
Дата:
I thought about that, and it seems like the upgrade path from 7.x ->
8.x is going to be slower than among any of the 7.x releases. 8.0 is
still several months away and it will probably be several months more
before people who are affected by this issue in production databases.

The other thing I thought about was a caveat in the 7.x documentation
under indexes, as it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. That would
keep it off the general FAQ but let folks using 7.x releases know about
it.

-tfo

On Aug 31, 2004, at 2:05 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Yes, 4.8 would be the right spot.  Not sure why we got so many reports
> recently though.
>
> However, with this fixed in 8.0, it probably isn't worth adding to the
> FAQ.

Re: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

Дата:
Thomas F.O'Connell wrote:
> I thought about that, and it seems like the upgrade path from 7.x ->
> 8.x is going to be slower than among any of the 7.x releases. 8.0 is
> still several months away and it will probably be several months more
> before people who are affected by this issue in production databases.
>
> The other thing I thought about was a caveat in the 7.x documentation
> under indexes, as it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere. That would
> keep it off the general FAQ but let folks using 7.x releases know about
> it.

It is on the TODO:

    * -Allow SELECT * FROM tab WHERE int2col = 4 to use int2col index, int8,
      float4, numeric/decimal too

Re: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Bruce,

> However, with this fixed in 8.0, it probably isn't worth adding to the
> FAQ.

I'd disagree.   We can expect people to be using 7.3 and 7.4 for 2 years yet.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Bruce,
>
>> However, with this fixed in 8.0, it probably isn't worth adding to the
>> FAQ.
>
> I'd disagree.  We can expect people to be using 7.3 and 7.4 for 2 years
> yet.

Have to agree ... I'm still supporting clients using 7.2 ...

----

Re: FAQ -- Index usage/speed

Дата:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Bruce,
> >
> >> However, with this fixed in 8.0, it probably isn't worth adding to the
> >> FAQ.
> >
> > I'd disagree.  We can expect people to be using 7.3 and 7.4 for 2 years
> > yet.
>
> Have to agree ... I'm still supporting clients using 7.2 ...

OK, added to FAQ:

    <P>In pre-8.0 releases, indexes often can not be used unless the data
    types exactly match the index's column types.  This is particularly
    true of int2, int8, and numeric column indexes.</P>