Обсуждение: Clarification in create_function.sgml

Clarification in create_function.sgml

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
It is necessary for single quotes and backslashes in a function
definition to be escaped, but the reference page does not make this
clear.

diff -c -r1.52 create_function.sgml
*** create_function.sgml        11 Sep 2003 21:42:20 -0000      1.52
--- create_function.sgml        21 Oct 2003 10:10:08 -0000
***************
*** 252,257 ****
--- 252,261 ----
         language.  It may be an internal function name, the path to an
         object file, an SQL command, or text in a procedural language.
        </para>
+       <para>
+        Any single quotes or backslashes in the function definition must be
+        escaped by doubling them.
+       </para>
       </listitem>
      </varlistentry>

     "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things
      which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right
      hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not
      on things on the earth."              Colossians 3:1,2

Re: Clarification in create_function.sgml

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Oliver Elphick writes:

> It is necessary for single quotes and backslashes in a function
> definition to be escaped, but the reference page does not make this
> clear.

This ought to be implicit in it being a string literal.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Clarification in create_function.sgml

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 17:42, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Oliver Elphick writes:
>
> > It is necessary for single quotes and backslashes in a function
> > definition to be escaped, but the reference page does not make this
> > clear.
>
> This ought to be implicit in it being a string literal.

Yes, but people sometimes need to have things spelt out.

It took a fairly lengthy correspondence to convince one bug reporter
that there was no bug; spelling it out for him in the reference would
have helped.

     "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things
      which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right
      hand of God. Set your affection on things above, not
      on things on the earth."              Colossians 3:1,2

Re: Clarification in create_function.sgml

Дата:
> Oliver Elphick writes:
>> It is necessary for single quotes and backslashes in a function
>> definition to be escaped, but the reference page does not make this
>> clear.

> This ought to be implicit in it being a string literal.

It is mentioned in many places, but not on that particular page.

I don't have a problem with adding something there too, but I think it
ought to go in the NOTES section rather than where Oliver has put it.
We commonly have "Don't forget that ..." kinds of items in NOTES.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Clarification in create_function.sgml

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
Oliver, Peter,

> It took a fairly lengthy correspondence to convince one bug reporter
> that there was no bug; spelling it out for him in the reference would
> have helped.

+1; we need things spelled out.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Clarification in create_function.sgml

Дата:
I have added this to the CREATE FUNCTION manual page, in the notes
section.