Обсуждение: TODO doc items

TODO doc items

Дата:
Here are the open doc items.  Should we consider ecpg.sgml as up-to-date
as it needs to be for 7.0?  Can I get someone working on the other
items, hopefully the authors?

> New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)

No man page yet.  Not sure what command SET CONSTRAINT applies to.

> First real FOREIGN KEY constraint trigger functionality (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH FULL ... ON DELETE CASCADE (Jan)
> Add FOREIGN KEY ... MATCH  referential actions (Don Baccus)

Jan has sent some.  Are these done?

> Add ecpg EXEC SQL IFDEF, EXEC SQL IFNDEF, EXEC SQL ELSE, EXEC SQL ELIF
>         and EXEC SQL ENDIF directives

ecpg.sgml?

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

Дата:
> Here are the open doc items.  Should we consider ecpg.sgml as up-to-date
> as it needs to be for 7.0?

Michael Meskes said he thought the ecpg page was out of date ... but
AFAICS it's his responsibility to update it.  If he doesn't get it
done, is there anyone else qualified to do it?

            regards, tom lane

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

От
wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Here are the open doc items.  Should we consider ecpg.sgml as up-to-date
> as it needs to be for 7.0?  Can I get someone working on the other
> items, hopefully the authors?

> > New CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER and SET CONSTRAINTS commands(Jan)
>
> No man page yet.  Not sure what command SET CONSTRAINT applies to.

    CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER is used from inside of CREATE/ALTER
    TABLE and by pg_dump  to  create  the  special  triggers  for
    referential  integrity. Dunno if we really need a manpage for
    it.

    SET CONSTRAINTS is the SQL3 specified command to  change  the
    default behaviour of constraints WRT deferring in the current
    transaction.

    Syntax is:

        SET CONSTRAINTS {ALL | <constraintlist>} <mode>

        <constraintlist> := comma separated list of deferrable
                            constraint names

        <mode> := DEFERRED | IMMEDIATE

    In deferred mode, the actual check of the constraint is  held
    back  until  either it's mode is explicitly set to IMMEDIATE,
    or until COMMIT.  This is actually only done for foreign  key
    constraints,  so  it  does  not  apply  to  UNIQUE  or  other
    constraints.

Jan

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > No man page yet.  Not sure what command SET CONSTRAINT applies to.

OK, I'll plop this into ref/create_constraint.sgml

                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

Дата:
> > > No man page yet.  Not sure what command SET CONSTRAINT applies to.
>
> OK, I'll plop this into ref/create_constraint.sgml

Seems that needs to go into set.sgml too.  At least that is where I was
going to put it.  Do you want assistance?

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> > OK, I'll plop this into ref/create_constraint.sgml
> Seems that needs to go into set.sgml too.  At least that is where I was
> going to put it.  Do you want assistance?

Already done. Don't know if create_constraint.sgml is actually going
to be included, since I don't know the details for content. Jan thinks
it may be misleading to have in the general docs, but it does get used
in pg_dump, where people could see it.

Comments?

                    - Thomas

South Pasadena, California

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

Дата:
> > > OK, I'll plop this into ref/create_constraint.sgml
> > Seems that needs to go into set.sgml too.  At least that is where I was
> > going to put it.  Do you want assistance?
>
> Already done. Don't know if create_constraint.sgml is actually going
> to be included, since I don't know the details for content. Jan thinks
> it may be misleading to have in the general docs, but it does get used
> in pg_dump, where people could see it.
>
> Comments?

Seems a shame not to document it, if only to say it is not for general
use. But then again, why put the page in there then?

If it is only for internal use, I would say skip any mention of it.
PostgreSQL is confusing enough.

Re: [HACKERS] TODO doc items

От
Thomas Lockhart
Дата:
> Seems a shame not to document it, if only to say it is not for general
> use. But then again, why put the page in there then?
> If it is only for internal use, I would say skip any mention of it.
> PostgreSQL is confusing enough.

Bad reason to not have info imho. We can't make it easier to
understand by leaving information out.

I'll go ahead and check it in (ref/create_constraint.sgml) so Jan can
add details if he has time.

                   - Thomas

South Pasadena, California