Обсуждение: initdb problems

initdb problems

От
Michael Mallete
Дата:
good day!

i'm having problems with running initdb. my platform is windows 2000
professional. just installed cygwin 1.5.11-1. i was able to compile
and install postgresql 7.4.5 from source with simply doing
./configure, make, and make install. then i ran "/usr/sbin/cygserver
&." finally, i ran "initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data." but it ends with
this:

FATAL: lock file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists
HINT: Is another postgres (PID 1884) running in data directory
"/usr/local/pgsql/data"?

thanx in advance! :)

Re: initdb problems

От
"Mike G."
Дата:
It sounds like you either executed initdb earlier or the tests that run after compling did shutdown the database before
exiting. You can try and delete that pid file.  If Windows blocks you because it is in use you probably should reboot.

On Mon, Sep 20, 2004 at 07:59:51PM +0800, Michael Mallete wrote:
> good day!
>
> i'm having problems with running initdb. my platform is windows 2000
> professional. just installed cygwin 1.5.11-1. i was able to compile
> and install postgresql 7.4.5 from source with simply doing
> ./configure, make, and make install. then i ran "/usr/sbin/cygserver
> &." finally, i ran "initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data." but it ends with
> this:
>
> FATAL: lock file "/usr/local/pgsql/data/postmaster.pid" already exists
> HINT: Is another postgres (PID 1884) running in data directory
> "/usr/local/pgsql/data"?
>

> thanx in advance! :)

Re: initdb problems

От
Vladimir Tsvetkov
Дата:
OOOps, I meant the semmns option.

I've had just to change the following option for cygserver:
/etc/cygserver.conf

# kern.ipc.semmns: Maximum no. of semaphores hold concurrently.
# Default: 60, Min: 1, Max: 1024
#kern.ipc..semmns 60
kern.ipc..semmns 512

And after this the initdb procedure worked without failure.
Thanx, anyway and sorry for taking from your time.

Best Regards,
Vladimir Tsvetkov

> 2005/10/11, Vladimir Tsvetkov <npacemo@gmail.com>:
> > I read the FAQ about PostgreSQL on Cygwin, but I couldn't understand
> > where and when should I run:
> >
> > # make MAX_CONNECTIONS=5 check
> >
> > And how to increase SEMMNS to avoid the following failure:
> >
> > DETAIL:  Failed system call was semget(1, 17, 03600).
> > HINT:  This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.
> >         It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of semapho
> > re sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of semaphores (SEMMNS), woul
> > d be exceeded.  You need to raise the respective kernel parameter.  Alternativel
> > y, reduce PostgreSQL's consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections
> >  parameter (currently 10).
> >         The PostgreSQL documentation contains more information about configuring
> >  your system for PostgreSQL.
> >
> > I've just upgraded my Cygwin installation. The previous installation
> > of Cygwin + PostgreSQL had no problems at all.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > Vladimir Tsvetkov

Re: initdb problems

От
Vladimir Tsvetkov
Дата:
I've had just to change the following option for cygserver:
/etc/cygserver.conf

# kern.ipc.semmsl: Maximum no. of semaphores per semaphore id.
# Default: 60, Min: 1, Max: 1024
#kern.ipc.semmsl 60
kern.ipc.semmsl 512