Обсуждение: To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

От
Carlo Florendo
Дата:
To the cygwin postgresql maintainer, Jason Tishler,

Good Day!

I've written some documentation regarding the configuration of
PostgreSQL on Cygwin.  Most of the actual commands specified on the
tutorial have been copied from the README which you wrote on the cygwin
documentation.    However, I would like to get some of your comments
before I propose for its addition on the "other tech docs" portion of
the postgresql documentation website.  The link to the doc is this:

http://www.geocities.com/cfflorendo/postgresql-cygwin.html

The source is posted there too.  I wouldn't mind patches or diffs for
corrections.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Carlo
------
Carlo Florendo
Astra Philippines Inc.
www.astra.ph

Re: To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Carlo,

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:49:47PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> However, I would like to get some of your comments before I post about
> its existence on some postgresql mailing lists.

Nice job.  I only have minor comments which are not very useful.
However, I recommend contributing your documentation directly to
PostgreSQL.  In this way, your tutorial will not become YA one.

Maybe an "Installation on Cygwin" chapter like the following:

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/install-win32.html

would be a good approach.

Jason

Re: To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

От
Carlo Florendo
Дата:
Jason Tishler wrote:

>Carlo,
>
>On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 03:49:47PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
>

>>However, I would like to get some of your comments before I post about
>>its existence on some postgresql mailing lists.
>>

>Nice job.  I only have minor comments which are not very useful.
>However, I recommend contributing your documentation directly to
>PostgreSQL.  In this way, your tutorial will not become YA one.
>
>Maybe an "Installation on Cygwin" chapter like the following:
>
>    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/install-win32.html
>
>would be a good approach.
>
>Jason

Oh!  Thank you very much.  I actually saw some typos and some phrases
which need to be
de-ambiguated.   I'll probably be able to do this after this weekend.
In any case, I'll try to propose the
doc to the PostgreSQL documentation/website maintainer after testing the
tutorial on the
different Windows platforms.

Thank you very much for PostgreSQL for Cygwin and for Cygwin too.  Great
software!

Best Regards,

Carlo Florendo y Flora
Astra Philippines Inc.
www.astra.ph

Re: To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Carlo,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:50:31PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> Thank you very much for PostgreSQL for Cygwin and

You are quite welcome, but I can only take very little credit for the
above.

> for Cygwin too.

And, essentially no credit for the above.

> Great software!

Agreed!

Thanks,
Jason

Re: [OT] Re: To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Igor,

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:42:48AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Jason Tishler wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:50:31PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> > > Thank you very much for PostgreSQL for Cygwin and
> >
> > You are quite welcome, but I can only take very little credit for
> > the above.
> >
> > > for Cygwin too.
> >
> > And, essentially no credit for the above.
>
> And that from the person who maintains "rebase"? ;-)

Thanks for reminding me of one of my contributions. :,)  I just didn't
want to leave a "dangling" thread implying too much attribution than I
was comfortable accepting.

Jason

[OT] Re: To cygwin postgresql maintainer: tutorial RFC

От
Igor Pechtchanski
Дата:
On Fri, 23 Jul 2004, Jason Tishler wrote:

> Carlo,
>
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 02:50:31PM +0800, Carlo Florendo wrote:
> > Thank you very much for PostgreSQL for Cygwin and
>
> You are quite welcome, but I can only take very little credit for the
> above.
>
> > for Cygwin too.
>
> And, essentially no credit for the above.

And that from the person who maintains "rebase"? ;-)

> > Great software!
>
> Agreed!

Ditto.
    Igor
--
                http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_        pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
     |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'        Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D.
    '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL    a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!