Обсуждение: sygserver fails with "failed to create named pipe, fatal error on IPC transport"

sygserver fails with "failed to create named pipe, fatal error on IPC transport"

От
David Riggs
Дата:
Dear List,

Thanks to earlier help from you all, I went back and installed the proper
cygserver for the new 7.4.3. But I cannot get it to run. I see in the
README that :

""On Windows NT/2000/XP or 2003, you should always run Cygserver as a
   service under LocalSystem account.  This is the way it is installed
   for you by the /usr/bin/cygserver-config script."

I am running WinXP Pro. But I do not know how to do this (sorry, a real
Windows beginner), could someone please talk me through it? I presume this
is the cause of the failure described below.

Thanks very much,

David

ps,

I have been through the readme for cygserver and postgresql install and
checked permissions and added both CYGWIN and CYGSERVER to Windows system
environment variable with value of server. If I just try to start up cygserver:

$cygserver  <i.e. started with no parameters>
cygserver: Initialization complete.  Waiting for requests.
cygserver: failed to create named pipe: is the daemon already running?
cygserver: fatal error on IPC transport: closing down"

Re: sygserver fails with "failed to create named pipe,

От
mike g
Дата:
A much easier way to start services, stop services, or see if they are
running etc. under XP Pro is to do Start->control panel->Administrative
functions->Services.  Cygwin Cygserver should be in the list and so
should postmaster.

Did you run the one time configuration script for cygserver?

On Thu, 2004-07-01 at 02:23, David Riggs wrote:
> Dear List,
>
> Thanks to earlier help from you all, I went back and installed the proper
> cygserver for the new 7.4.3. But I cannot get it to run. I see in the
> README that :
>
> ""On Windows NT/2000/XP or 2003, you should always run Cygserver as a
>    service under LocalSystem account.  This is the way it is installed
>    for you by the /usr/bin/cygserver-config script."
>
> I am running WinXP Pro. But I do not know how to do this (sorry, a real
> Windows beginner), could someone please talk me through it? I presume this
> is the cause of the failure described below.
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> David
>
> ps,
>
> I have been through the readme for cygserver and postgresql install and
> checked permissions and added both CYGWIN and CYGSERVER to Windows system
> environment variable with value of server. If I just try to start up cygserver:
>
> $cygserver  <i.e. started with no parameters>
> cygserver: Initialization complete.  Waiting for requests.
> cygserver: failed to create named pipe: is the daemon already running?
> cygserver: fatal error on IPC transport: closing down"

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Got it! Re: cygserver fails with "failed to create named pipe,fatal error on IPC transport"

От
David Riggs
Дата:
The problem was that I double started cygserver, which cause it to lock up,
I guess.

The point is, when you run the cygserver-install script, it puts an entry
in Start->control panel->Administrative functions->Services, and so
apparently when you start up Cygwin, it automatically starts cygserver.

Not realizing this, I started cygserver manually, which claimed that it had
failed, but actually did not shut down, so there were two processes
running. Anyway, if I just start postmaster it works.

Thanks Mike and others. I think I got it now. On to the database matters!!

David

Kyoto