Обсуждение: Multiple clean installs: get same error of "invalid length of startup packet"

Multiple clean installs: get same error of "invalid length of startup packet"

От
Jon Mountjoy
Дата:
Hi All,

I've installed new version of cygwin twice now, on two different
machines.  I am using the latest build.  On the one, I simply did
"Install from Internet", on the other "Download from Internet" and
then later install.  So both have a fresh cygwin, and a fresh postgres.

After installing postgres, I fail to connect to it, and get error
messages on the server.  For example, if I run it (from the command
line) with the "-i" argument, and try to connect with "psql template1"
then I get:

LOG: invalid length of startup packet

DEBUG: proc_exit(0)

DEBUG: shmem_exit(0)

DEBUG: exit(0)

DEBUG: reaping dead processes

DEBUG: child process (PID 1948) exited with exit code 0

(Here, I have run postmaster with the debug level set to 5).

The client simply says:

psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly.  This probably means
the server terminated abnormally before or while processing the
request.

I get the same if I run postmaster without the -i.

If I run postmaster with -i, and then try to connect using: psql -h
localhost template1 then I get the same error on the server, but the
client instead says "psql:could not receive server response to SSL
negotiation packet: Connection reset by peer"./

Any pointers?  The fact that this happens on two different machines is
odd.  When I use an OLD cygwin installation that I have lying around,
it works fine...

I've included output of cygcheck -c below.  Running on windows 2000.

TIA,

Jon

$ cygcheck -c

Cygwin Package Information

Package              Version            Stat

_update-info-dir     00227-1            OK

ash                  20040127-1         OK

base-files           2.6-1              OK

base-passwd          1.1-1              OK

bash                 2.05b-16           OK

bzip2                1.0.2-5            OK

clear                1.0-1              OK

crypt                1.1-1              OK

cygipc               2.03-2             OK

cygrunsrv            0.98-3             OK

cygutils             1.2.5-1            OK

cygwin               1.5.9-1            OK

cygwin-doc           1.3-7              OK

diffutils            2.8.4-1            OK

editrights           1.01-1             OK

fileutils            4.1-2              OK

findutils            4.1.7-4            OK

gawk                 3.1.3-4            OK

gdbm                 1.8.3-7            OK

grep                 2.5-1              OK

groff                1.18.1-2           OK

gzip                 1.3.5-1            OK

inetutils            1.3.2-26           OK

initscripts          0.9-1              OK

less                 381-1              OK

libbz2_1             1.0.2-5            OK

libgdbm              1.8.0-5            OK

libgdbm-devel        1.8.3-7            OK

libgdbm3             1.8.3-3            OK

libgdbm4             1.8.3-7            OK

libgettextpo0        0.12.1-3           OK

libiconv2            1.9.1-3            OK

libintl1             0.10.40-1          OK

libintl2             0.12.1-3           OK

libncurses5          5.2-1              OK

libncurses6          5.2-8              OK

libncurses7          5.3-4              OK

libpcre              4.1-1              OK

libpcre0             4.5-1              OK

libpopt0             1.6.4-4            OK

libreadline4         4.1-2              OK

libreadline5         4.3-5              OK

login                1.9-7              OK

man                  1.5k-3             OK

minires              0.97-1             OK

mktemp               1.5-3              OK

ncurses              5.3-4              OK

openssh              3.8p1-1            OK

openssl              0.9.7d-1           OK

postgresql           7.4.1-3            OK

readline             4.3-5              OK

sed                  4.0.9-2            OK

sh-utils             2.0.15-4           OK

sysvinit             2.84-4             OK

tar                  1.13.25-5          OK

termcap              20021106-2         OK

terminfo             5.3_20030726-1     OK

texinfo              4.2-4              OK

textutils            2.0.21-1           OK

which                1.5-2              OK

zlib                 1.2.1-1

[...]

zlib                 1.2.1-1            OK਀

Re: Multiple clean installs: get same error of "invalid length of startup packet"

От
Jon Mountjoy
Дата:
Hi All,

Problem solved, though I don't know exactly what caused it.
I upgraded the operating system from SP3 to SP4, uninstalled all
superfluous software (although nothing I uninstalled seemed relevant),
reinstalled from scratch, and now it works.  So there was some hidden
dodgy interaction between postgres on cygwin, and the operating system,
which caused postgres to give me invalid length messages.

Regards,
Jon