Обсуждение: postgres on cygwin

postgres on cygwin

От
"Annu Panesar"
Дата:
hi
 what are the possible ways to increase the no. of connections i can make to postgres in cygwin env.or do i increase the swap memory etc?
will increasing the default meme size of cygwin from 128 mb help?
i keep getting resource temporarily unavailable on my server .

annu

Re: postgres on cygwin

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Annu,

[I would have responded sooner, but I have been on vacation.]

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 01:54:31PM +0100, Annu Panesar wrote:
> what are the possible ways to increase the no. of connections i can
> make to postgres in cygwin env.or do i increase the swap memory etc?
> will increasing the default meme size of cygwin from 128 mb help?  i
> keep getting resource temporarily unavailable on my server .

See the following:

    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-cygwin/2003-08/msg00047.php

Jason

Re: postgres on cygwin

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
George,

On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 07:39:58PM -0400, George, Martin wrote:
> I have tried to use the faqs for installing PostGres on Cygwin.  If it
> is inappropriate to ask you for help, please direct me to the other
> sources if you can...

Please post instead of sending private email.

> Otherwise, I have included details below:
>
> Thank you!
>
> Martin George
>
> Details:
>
> Using:
>     cygwin 1.5.11-1
>     cygipc 2.03-2 (but I do not know what it is or if I need to use it
>     in a special way)

cygipc is no longer needed by Cygwin PostgreSQL.

>     bash 2.05b-16
>     make 3.80-1

What version of PostgreSQL?

> I enter:
>     usr/sbin/cygserver &

The above should be "/usr/sbin/cygserver &" unless your current working
directory is "/".

>     initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -W -E LATIN1
>
> but I get:
>     initdb: failed.

What is the *exact* error message(s)?

> One faq recommends using:

Did you read the Cygwin PostgreSQL README?

    /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.5.README

>     make MAX_CONNECTIONS=5 check
>
> but I get:
>     make: *** No rule to make target `check'.  Stop.

There is no need to use make unless you are building PostgreSQL from
source.

Jason

Re: postgres on cygwin

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
George,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 01:05:48PM -0400, George, Martin wrote:
> Thank you very much for your quick reply.

You are quite welcome.

> I am new to the unix world and "weak" on protocol.

See above.

Either cygwin@ or pgsql-cygwin@ will work.

> I was using PostGreSQL 7.4.5.1.

I assumed so.

> The problem was answered when:
>   /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/postgresql-7.4.5.README
> referenced:
>   /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/cygserver.README
> in which it was stated to use:
>   set CYGWIN=server
> as an environment variable.

Ditto.

> Doing this allowed WinXP to run PostGres on Cygwin.

Ditto.

> Note: (I am sure you know) there are syntactical differences
> between SQL under Windows PostGres and Cygwin Postgres
> 1) could not use quotes to enclose strings
> 2) could not use spaces

Actually, I have never used the native Windows PostgreSQL before.
Nevertheless, if the above is really an issue, then you should post this
to one of the other PostgreSQL mailing lists (maybe the Win32 or the
general one).

> Again thank you very much for your direct reply.  I really appreciate
> it.

Again, you are quite welcome.

Jason