Обсуждение: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Ben Clewett
Дата:
Stand alone PostgrSQL.

How hard would it be to make PostgreSQL stand-alone without cgywin?  And
if not, if there a sort of minumim configuration of .dll's which could
be used to build, say, an InstallShield which got the product up and
running?

As well, if anybody knows, how the development of the stand-alone NT
version of PostgreSQL is progressing?

Thanks

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
"Todd F. Peterson"
Дата:
i have assembled the minimum components and an install script for
postgres on windows. see

http://genex.ncgr.org/downloads/genex-lite

specifically, cygmin.tgz (minimum cygwin for postgres) includes the
necessary components to get postgres working on windows. note that the
windows registry must be modified for the whole thing to work. the
included install.bat does the needed mods to the registry (as i recall).

Todd Peterson
Sr. Developer
The National Center for Genome Resources
Santa Fe, New Mexico USA

 On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:

> Stand alone PostgrSQL.
>
> How hard would it be to make PostgreSQL stand-alone without cgywin?  And
> if not, if there a sort of minumim configuration of .dll's which could
> be used to build, say, an InstallShield which got the product up and
> running?
>
> As well, if anybody knows, how the development of the stand-alone NT
> version of PostgreSQL is progressing?
>
> Thanks

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Steve_Miller@sil.org
Дата:
Todd,

I for one wouldn't mind seeing it. But I can't get to the site you listed
below.

Steve Miller
SIL International

On 02/14/2003 03:17:37 PM pgsql-cygwin-owner wrote:

>i have assembled the minimum components and an install script for
>postgres on windows. see
>
>http://genex.ncgr.org/downloads/genex-lite
>
>specifically, cygmin.tgz (minimum cygwin for postgres) includes the
>necessary components to get postgres working on windows. note that the
>windows registry must be modified for the whole thing to work. the
>included install.bat does the needed mods to the registry (as i recall).
>
>Todd Peterson
>Sr. Developer
>The National Center for Genome Resources
>Santa Fe, New Mexico USA
>
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:
>
>> Stand alone PostgrSQL.
>>
>> How hard would it be to make PostgreSQL stand-alone without cgywin?  And
>> if not, if there a sort of minumim configuration of .dll's which could
>> be used to build, say, an InstallShield which got the product up and
>> running?
>>
>> As well, if anybody knows, how the development of the stand-alone NT
>> version of PostgreSQL is progressing?
>>
>> Thanks

>> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
"Todd F. Peterson"
Дата:
whoops...no 's' at the end of download:

http://genebox.ncgr.org/download/genex-lite/

Todd

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:

> Todd,
>
> I for one wouldn't mind seeing it. But I can't get to the site you listed
> below.
>
> Steve Miller
> SIL International
>

> On 02/14/2003 03:17:37 PM pgsql-cygwin-owner wrote:
>
> >i have assembled the minimum components and an install script for
> >postgres on windows. see
> >
> >http://genex.ncgr.org/downloads/genex-lite
> >
> >specifically, cygmin.tgz (minimum cygwin for postgres) includes the
> >necessary components to get postgres working on windows. note that the
> >windows registry must be modified for the whole thing to work. the
> >included install.bat does the needed mods to the registry (as i recall).
> >
> >Todd Peterson
> >Sr. Developer
> >The National Center for Genome Resources
> >Santa Fe, New Mexico USA
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:
> >
> >> Stand alone PostgrSQL.
> >>
> >> How hard would it be to make PostgreSQL stand-alone without cgywin?  And
> >> if not, if there a sort of minumim configuration of .dll's which could
> >> be used to build, say, an InstallShield which got the product up and
> >> running?
> >>
> >> As well, if anybody knows, how the development of the stand-alone NT
> >> version of PostgreSQL is progressing?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> >> ---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------
> >> TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >>
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

> >TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >
> >http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Justin Clift
Дата:
Ben Clewett wrote:
> Stand alone PostgrSQL.
>
> How hard would it be to make PostgreSQL stand-alone without cgywin?  And
> if not, if there a sort of minumim configuration of .dll's which could
> be used to build, say, an InstallShield which got the product up and
> running?

Well, PostgreSQL 7.4 is going to natively support Windows, so we won't
need cygwin there.  Something of interest that turned up when doing the
initial "Proof of Concept" PostgreSQL+Cygwin installer the other day was
that PostgreSQL relies on a lot of unix tools just to do basic things.

For example, to initialise the database with 'initdb' PostgreSQL
requires (from memory) grep, sed, and one other (can't remember the name
of it).

When we're no longer using cygwin, we're definitely going to need to
figure out how to either replace these tools, or use non-cygwin versions
of them.

> As well, if anybody knows, how the development of the stand-alone NT
> version of PostgreSQL is progressing?

Do you mean the "Proof of Concept" installer from the other day?  At
present I'm finishing up a holiday, so haven't had a chance to work on
it further.

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Thanks

    - Indira Gandhi

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Todd,

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:38:04PM -0700, Todd F. Peterson wrote:
> http://genebox.ncgr.org/download/genex-lite/

You or the provider of the above are violating the Cygwin and/or GPL
licenses by not providing the source for the binaries in the following:

    http://genebox.ncgr.org/download/genex-lite/cygmin.tgz

Please correct this or notify the provider ASAP.

Thanks,
Jason

P.S. There is some cruft in the tarball:

    cygmin/.bash_history
    cygmin/tmp/cygipc_0
    cygmin/tmp/MultiFileMsg
    cygmin/tmp/MultiFileSem
    cygmin/tmp/MultiFileShm

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
"Todd F. Peterson"
Дата:
dang...didn't mean to violate anybody. just tried to make things a bit
less painful. but...'k, cygmin.tgz at genex.ncgr.org is now unavailable.

todd

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Jason Tishler wrote:

> Todd,
>
> On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 03:38:04PM -0700, Todd F. Peterson wrote:
> > http://genebox.ncgr.org/download/genex-lite/
>
> You or the provider of the above are violating the Cygwin and/or GPL
> licenses by not providing the source for the binaries in the following:
>
>     http://genebox.ncgr.org/download/genex-lite/cygmin.tgz
>
> Please correct this or notify the provider ASAP.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason
>
> P.S. There is some cruft in the tarball:
>
>     cygmin/.bash_history
>     cygmin/tmp/cygipc_0
>     cygmin/tmp/MultiFileMsg
>     cygmin/tmp/MultiFileSem
>     cygmin/tmp/MultiFileShm
>
> --
> PGP/GPG Key: http://www.tishler.net/jason/pubkey.asc or key servers
> Fingerprint: 7A73 1405 7F2B E669 C19D  8784 1AFD E4CC ECF4 8EF6

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Todd,

Please keep your replies on-list.

On Sun, Feb 16, 2003 at 01:06:57AM -0700, Todd F. Peterson wrote:
> have hopefully corrected both licensing and cruft issues. am not a
> lawyer, but figured proper links back to proper source are sufficient?

I'm sorry to inform that links are *not* sufficient.  The simplest
approach is to just provide the source tarballs that correspond to the
binaries on your web site too.  You can encourage users to download them
from elsewhere to save bandwidth.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
J M Okomba
Дата:
I thought they only need to provide a link to the sources. Including the
sources would bloat the file.

Дата:
On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 11:11:43AM +0300, J M Okomba wrote:
> I thought they only need to provide a link to the sources.

The above is a comment misconception, but nonetheless incorrect.

> Including the sources would bloat the file.

Having source tarballs for the corresponding binaries on *their* web
site is sufficient.  The source and binaries do not have to be in the
same file -- they just have to be on the same media.  In this case, the
"same media" is the web site.

Jason

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Ben Clewett
Дата:
Hi Todd.

I like the installation.  Espeicailly the size, being less than MySQL,
SAP and definitelly less than any MS SQL server.  That's not hard, but
I'd worry if it was :)

I've been playing with your files trying to get them into Install
Sheild.  Although it's easy to get the program to put everything in the
right place, I'm not sure what to do now, post-loading.

Do you call you mount-directories.bat first?  Is this where cygwin
learns where root and all else is?

Then I would guess you'd run your install.bat.  This would be run using
bash.exe?

DOS>  bash.exe install.sh

This is a one-time executable.  On boot of the PC, another script would
be needed to restart the server again?

Is there anything more which cygwin would need to correctly initiate?
You mension stuff for the Registry for instance?

My registry only shows valid data in: 'My
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Mounts v2\'
  Where it lists the current mount points.

Also, I ask as I have no idea, it might be nice to isolate this
instalation in a safe area away from the users main 'cygwin' stuff.
Like, as InstallSheild would prefure, in c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL
where the /bin /tmp /usr could be built.  If this could be set as the
root in cygwin, AND not conflict with any other cygwin which might be
running on the system.  Sort of like UML with Cygwin, UMC...

This would have the advantage of InstallShield not messing up the users
own installed Cygwin, and also the user installing Cygwin messing up
PostgreSQL?

If this was possible, then an entire instalation could be embedded into
a 2Mb image which could be (as I want) attached to an application for
download over the Internet.

Regards,

Ben Clewett.

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:

> Hi Todd.
>
> I like the installation.  Espeicailly the size, being less than MySQL,
> SAP and definitelly less than any MS SQL server.  That's not hard, but
> I'd worry if it was :)
>
> I've been playing with your files trying to get them into Install
> Sheild.  Although it's easy to get the program to put everything in the
> right place, I'm not sure what to do now, post-loading.
shouldn't have to do much, maybe cleanup any files that won't be used
again. not sure what those would be.

here is install.bat that i package with my application that uses Postgres:

setlocal
set HOME=%~d0%~p0
echo installing in %HOME%
set PATH=%PATH%;%HOME%\cygmin\bin
cd %HOME%cygmin\bin
call mount-directories.bat %HOME%cygmin
bash /install.sh
cd %HOME%
echo install successful!
endlocal

crude and not really that robust, but gets the job done.
the other piece of my install looks like this:

#!/bin/sh

JAVA_BIN=`which java`
if [ -n "$JAVA_BIN" ]; then
JAVA_VERSION=`java -version`
echo java version $JAVA_VERSION found
else
echo java not found, either install it or put it in
echo your PATH
return
fi
echo "checking for Postgres"
PG_BIN=`which psql`
if [ -n "$PG_BIN" ]; then
PG_VERSION=`psql -V`
echo postgres $PG_VERSION found
else
echo psql not found, either install Postgres or put
echo it in your PATH
return
fi
echo "required components found"

echo "installing GeneX-Lite database"
createdb genexlite
createuser -D -A genexlite
psql -U genexlite -d genexlite -f db/create-postgres-schema.sql
psql -U genexlite -d genexlite -f db/create-postgres-sequences.sql
psql -U genexlite -d genexlite -f db/create-views.sql
psql -U genexlite -d genexlite -f db/setup-attributes.sql
psql -U genexlite -d genexlite -f db/create-cont-vocabs.sql
echo "install complete"

> Do you call you mount-directories.bat first?  Is this where cygwin
> learns where root and all else is?

yep

> Then I would guess you'd run your install.bat.  This would be run using
> bash.exe?
>
> DOS>  bash.exe install.sh

see above

> This is a one-time executable.  On boot of the PC, another script would
> be needed to restart the server again?

yes, or install as service which is painful

> Is there anything more which cygwin would need to correctly initiate?
> You mension stuff for the Registry for instance?
>
> My registry only shows valid data in: 'My
> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\Mounts v2\'
>   Where it lists the current mount points.

that's how cygwin knows where / etc. is. the mount commands do this

> Also, I ask as I have no idea, it might be nice to isolate this
> instalation in a safe area away from the users main 'cygwin' stuff.
> Like, as InstallSheild would prefure, in c:\Program Files\PostgreSQL
> where the /bin /tmp /usr could be built.  If this could be set as the
> root in cygwin, AND not conflict with any other cygwin which might be
> running on the system.  Sort of like UML with Cygwin, UMC...

that would be messy. i do have a script called set-cyghome.bat in the
install to do this. i don't like it much, it's ugly but it works. i'm
getting pretty tired of Windows and may just abandon support for it.
especially the cygmin portion due to the source issues. it was a pain to
create the cygmin with just the executables and dlls. gathering the source
for everything would be a burden. you will have to consider that problem,
too.

> This would have the advantage of InstallShield not messing up the users
> own installed Cygwin, and also the user installing Cygwin messing up
> PostgreSQL?

multiple cygwins could just use different mount point names so you could
have /cygwin1 and /cygwin2 and set the environments up differently
depending on which to use.

> If this was possible, then an entire instalation could be embedded into
> a 2Mb image which could be (as I want) attached to an application for
> download over the Internet.

good luck.

todd

> Regards,
>
> Ben Clewett.
>

> Todd F. Peterson wrote:
> > whoops...no 's' at the end of download:
> >
> > http://genebox.ncgr.org/download/genex-lite/
> >
> > Todd
> >
> > On Fri, 14 Feb 2003 Steve_Miller@sil.org wrote:
> >

> >>Todd,
> >>
> >>I for one wouldn't mind seeing it. But I can't get to the site you listed
> >>below.
> >>
> >>Steve Miller
> >>SIL International

> >>---------------------------(end of broadcast)---------------------------

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Ben,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 04:47:31PM +0000, Ben Clewett wrote:
> This would have the advantage of InstallShield not messing up the
> users own installed Cygwin, and also the user installing Cygwin
> messing up PostgreSQL?

Sorry, the above is not really practical.  Two different Cygwin versions
cannot co-exist on the same system due to shared memory that is version
checked.

> If this was possible, then an entire instalation could be embedded
> into a 2Mb image which could be (as I want) attached to an application
> for download over the Internet.

Please don't violate the GPL if you do the above.

Thanks,
Jason

Re: PostgreSQL without cygwin.

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
Ben,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 04:37:31PM +0000, Ben Clewett wrote:
> Jason Tishler wrote:
> >Sorry, the above is not really practical.  Two different Cygwin
> >versions cannot co-exist on the same system due to shared memory that
> >is version checked.
>
> Yes, I have been doing some research and found this to be true.  Not
> only that, but all Cygwin seem to have a common / root file system and
> mount points.  I have found a fork of CygWin which counters this, and
> I belive hacking CygWin it's self to avoid these problems is almost
> trivial.  But not looked yet...

It is.  Search the Cygwin ML (from today) for how to accomplish the
above.

> >>If this was possible, then an entire instalation could be embedded
> >>into a 2Mb image which could be (as I want) attached to an
> >>application for download over the Internet.
> >
> >Please don't violate the GPL if you do the above.
>
> Absolutelly not.  We use much GPL software here in our solutions, and
> adherance to the GPL is paramount.  Including GPL software is not too
> hard in an Install Sheild type instalation with commercial software.
> Listing the software, printing then GPL licence, and giving a URL of
                                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> where the sourse code can be obtained, is usually enough.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sorry to inform you that a URL is *not* sufficient.  The easiest way
to adhere to the license is to put the source tarballs on same the
website that hosts the binaries.  Note that you can encourage the user
to download the source from an alternate place, if your bandwidth is
metered.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

> Unless PostgreSQL has a different take on the GPL, in which case I
> would want to know now how PostgreSQL expect commercial software
> companies to use their products.  I would hope it's not in the same
> way as MySQL, which we have had to dump becuase of their take on GPL.

No PostgreSQL does not have a different take.  It is the normal GPL
license *and* Cygwin's take that is relevant here.

Jason