Обсуждение: initdb takes forever!

initdb takes forever!

От
"Russell Black"
Дата:
How long should I expect initdb to take?

It's prints out

/cygdrive/c>initdb -D a
This database system will be initialized with username "Administrator".
This user will own all the data files and must also own the server process.

Fixing permissions on existing directory a
Creating directory a/base
Creating directory a/global
Creating directory a/pg_xlog
Creating template1 database in a/base/1

It gets this far and then sits there and takes up all my CPU with virtually no disk activity, seemingly indefinately!  How long should creating template1 take?  I've been waiting for about 15 minutes so far

Thanks,

Russ

ant wants to build a J2EE jdbc driver (I only want a J2SE driver!)

От
Jerry Asher
Дата:
I am trying to build postgresql 7.1.2 on NT using the cygwin package.  I am
using jdk 1.3.1 Standard Edition.

I configured the system to build the jdbc driver

    ./configure --with-java

and then I ran make.

Everything is seemingly succesful until it starts building the jdbc driver,
which reports 100 errors similar to:

Administrator@DUALBERT:c:/cygnus/usr/src/postgresql-7.1.2$ ant
Buildfile: build.xml

jar:

call:

prepare:

check_versions:

driver:
      [echo] Configured build for the JDBC2 Enterprise edition driver.

compile:
     [javac] Compiling 58 source files to
C:\cygnus\usr\src\postgresql-7.1.2\src\interfaces\jdbc\build
     [javac]
C:\cygnus\usr\src\postgresql-7.1.2\src\interfaces\jdbc\org\postgresql\xa\XADataSourceImpl.java:64:
cannot resolve symbol
     [javac] symbol  : class Xid
     [javac] location: package xa
     [javac] import javax.transaction.xa.Xid;
     [javac]                             ^
     [javac]
C:\cygnus\usr\src\postgresql-7.1.2\src\interfaces\jdbc\org\postgresql\xa\XADataSourceImpl.java:237:
cannot resolve symbol
     [javac] symbol  : class Xid
     [javac] location: class org.postgresql.xa.XADataSourceImpl
     [javac]     TxConnection getTxConnection( Xid xid )
     [javac]                                   ^

A brief check at Sun seems to indicate that the javax.transaction.xa.Xid
class comes with the jdk1.4 that apparently is still in beta.  (I say this
as I cannot find any Xid references in the 1.3 documentation.)

Of course, I note too that ANT is trying to build a JDBC2 Enterprise
edition driver.  Hmm.  I only have the JDK Standard Edition loaded.  That
would appear to be a problem, but what do I do about it?

Yet, when I build postgres 7.1.1 on Linux with the JDK 1.3.1 Standard
Edition, I dont' receive these errors (and the underlying jdbc driver
source code looks the same.)

Can you advise?

Thank you,

Jerry Asher
Jerry Asher                       jerry@hollyjerry.org
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161    Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709                Fax: (877) 311-8688

Re: ant wants to build a J2EE jdbc driver (I only want a J2SE driver!)

От
Jerry Asher
Дата:
Okay, I figured this one out.

The postgresql jdbc build.xml file tries determine if the class
javax.sql.Datasource exists, and if it does, it builds the enterprise
edition.  Last night I included the Oracle jdbc driver on my classpath, and
that jar file includes that class.  Removing the oracle jdbc driver from
the classpath and ant is able to successfully build the postgres jdbc driver.

Nevermind.... (but thanks anyway)

Jerry Asher

Jerry Asher                       jerry@hollyjerry.org
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161    Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709                Fax: (877) 311-8688

Re: initdb takes forever!

От
s0lao@netscape.net (S. L.)
Дата:
"Russell Black" <rblack@iarchives.com> wrote:

[...]

> Fixing permissions on existing directory a
> Creating directory a/base
> Creating directory a/global
> Creating directory a/pg_xlog
> Creating template1 database in a/base/1
>
> It gets this far and then sits there and takes up all my CPU with virtually no disk activity, seemingly indefinately!
 Howlong should creating template1 take?  I've been waiting for about 15 minutes so far

> Thanks,
>
> Russ

This situation often happens because either you didn't run ipc-daemon before initdb, or because your ipc-daemon isn't
functional.

Regards,

                                SLao

Re: initdb takes forever!

От
Jason Tishler
Дата:
On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 02:33:21AM -0400, S. L. wrote:
> "Russell Black" <rblack@iarchives.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Fixing permissions on existing directory a
> > Creating directory a/base
> > Creating directory a/global
> > Creating directory a/pg_xlog
> > Creating template1 database in a/base/1
> >
> > It gets this far and then sits there and takes up all my CPU with virtually no disk activity, seemingly
indefinately! How long should creating template1 take?  I've been waiting for about 15 minutes so far

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Russ
>
> This situation often happens because either you didn't run ipc-daemon before initdb, or because your ipc-daemon isn't
functional.

The 100% CPU indicates that Russell forgot to start ipc-daemon and/or
install cygipc.

Jason

--
Jason Tishler
Director, Software Engineering       Phone: 732.264.8770 x235

Re: initdb takes forever!

От
"Russell Black"
Дата: