Обсуждение: pgsql: Teach autovacuum about multixact member wraparound.

pgsql: Teach autovacuum about multixact member wraparound.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
Teach autovacuum about multixact member wraparound.

The logic introduced in commit b69bf30b9bfacafc733a9ba77c9587cf54d06c0c
and repaired in commits 669c7d20e6374850593cb430d332e11a3992bbcf and
7be47c56af3d3013955c91c2877c08f2a0e3e6a2 helps to ensure that we don't
overwrite old multixact member information while it is still needed,
but a user who creates many large multixacts can still exhaust the
member space (and thus start getting errors) while autovacuum stands
idly by.

To fix this, progressively ramp down the effective value (but not the
actual contents) of autovacuum_multixact_freeze_max_age as member space
utilization increases.  This makes autovacuum more aggressive and also
reduces the threshold for a manual VACUUM to perform a full-table scan.

This patch leaves unsolved the problem of ensuring that emergency
autovacuums are triggered even when autovacuum=off.  We'll need to fix
that via a separate patch.

Thomas Munro and Robert Haas

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/53bb309d2d5a9432d2602c93ed18e58bd2924e15

Modified Files
--------------
doc/src/sgml/maintenance.sgml          |    8 ++-
src/backend/access/transam/multixact.c |   88 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
src/backend/commands/vacuum.c          |   16 ++++--
src/backend/postmaster/autovacuum.c    |   28 +++++++---
src/include/access/multixact.h         |    1 +

Re: pgsql: Teach autovacuum about multixact member wraparound.

От
Kevin Grittner
Дата:
Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> wrote:

> This patch leaves unsolved the problem of ensuring that emergency
> autovacuums are triggered even when autovacuum=off.  We'll need
> to fix that via a separate patch.

I think we also need something like your previously-posted

multixact-truncate-race.patch as a follow-on.  I'm not at all
convinced that there is no possibility of truncating new data as
things stand; and even if that is true now, it seems terribly
fragile.  (Only mentioning it because it wasn't noted in the commit
message.)

--
Kevin Grittner
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: pgsql: Teach autovacuum about multixact member wraparound.

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 1:23 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org> wrote:
>
>> This patch leaves unsolved the problem of ensuring that emergency
>> autovacuums are triggered even when autovacuum=off.  We'll need
>> to fix that via a separate patch.
>
> I think we also need something like your previously-posted
>
> multixact-truncate-race.patch as a follow-on.  I'm not at all
> convinced that there is no possibility of truncating new data as
> things stand; and even if that is true now, it seems terribly
> fragile.  (Only mentioning it because it wasn't noted in the commit
> message.)

I agree.  I'm writing up a summary of open issues now.  I didn't
mention it in the commit message because it's not related to the
autovacuum part of the problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company