Обсуждение: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

Дата:
Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Magnus.

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=4646e0cef70d2f9a6bb1764cee5c13b7bbd23625

Modified Files
--------------
src/bin/pg_ctl/pg_ctl.c |    2 +-

Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

Дата:
> Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Magnus.

Why does this string contain doubled spaces?

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Magnus.
>
> Why does this string contain doubled spaces?

You mean two spaces after a semicolon?   Isn't that normal?  This is the
string:

                write_stderr(_("warning:  could not connect;  might be
            due to invalid authentication or\n"
                                "misconfiguration.\n"));

Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Why does this string contain doubled spaces?

> You mean two spaces after a semicolon?   Isn't that normal?  This is the
> string:

Normal according to what?  In any case translatable error strings are
not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
looks like to me.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Why does this string contain doubled spaces?
>
> > You mean two spaces after a semicolon?   Isn't that normal?  This is the
> > string:
>
> Normal according to what?  In any case translatable error strings are
> not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
> looks like to me.

Well, wikipedia says perhaps two spaces:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon

    Semicolons are followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter is
    the first letter of a proper noun. They have no spaces before them, but
    one space after (possibly two when using monospaced fonts).

but answers.com says only one:

    http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_after_a_colon_and_semicolon
    After a semicolon, there is never more than one space.

so I have changed it to once space, and also reworded it:

    warning:  could not connect; might be caused by invalid authentication or
    misconfiguration.

That wording seems to match other messages better, though I feel pg_ctl
seems to have sloppy output formatting in general.

Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

От
Andrew Dunstan

On 11/26/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us>  writes:
>>> You mean two spaces after a semicolon?   Isn't that normal?  This is the
>>> string:
>> Normal according to what?  In any case translatable error strings are
>> not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
>> looks like to me.
> Well, wikipedia says perhaps two spaces:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
>
>     Semicolons are followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter is
>     the first letter of a proper noun. They have no spaces before them, but
>     one space after (possibly two when using monospaced fonts).
>
> but answers.com says only one:
>
>     http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_after_a_colon_and_semicolon
>     After a semicolon, there is never more than one space.
>
> so I have changed it to once space, and also reworded it:
>
>     warning:  could not connect; might be caused by invalid authentication or
>     misconfiguration.
>
> That wording seems to match other messages better, though I feel pg_ctl
> seems to have sloppy output formatting in general.

We're not typesetting a document here. I tend to think that we shouldn't
have multiple spaces anywhere, in which case we should also remove the
extra space following "warning:" above. AFAICT we don't use multiple
spaces anywhere in the backend messages, and we should be consistent
about it.

cheers

andrew

Re: pgsql: Improve pg_ctl "cannot connect" warning, per suggestion from Mag

Дата:
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 11/26/2010 10:04 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Normal according to what?  In any case translatable error strings are
> >> not supposed to attempt to do formatting, and formatting is what that
> >> looks like to me.
> > Well, wikipedia says perhaps two spaces:
> >
> >     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semicolon
> >
> >     Semicolons are followed by a lower case letter, unless that letter is
> >     the first letter of a proper noun. They have no spaces before them, but
> >     one space after (possibly two when using monospaced fonts).
> >
> > but answers.com says only one:
> >
> >     http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_spaces_after_a_colon_and_semicolon
> >     After a semicolon, there is never more than one space.
> >
> > so I have changed it to once space, and also reworded it:
> >
> >     warning:  could not connect; might be caused by invalid authentication or
> >     misconfiguration.
> >
> > That wording seems to match other messages better, though I feel pg_ctl
> > seems to have sloppy output formatting in general.
> >

> We're not typesetting a document here. I tend to think that we shouldn't
> have multiple spaces anywhere, in which case we should also remove the
> extra space following "warning:" above. AFAICT we don't use multiple
> spaces anywhere in the backend messages, and we should be consistent
> about it.

Well, we use two space after an error label:

           __
    NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE will create implicit sequence "test_x_seq" for
    serial column "test.x"

which I thought was what I was doing here.  Should it be upper-case
WARNING?  I am fine with one space but wanted to point out why I used
two.