Обсуждение: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

От
"Al-Salami, Adel"

Hello,

I am new here and have got a general clear question:

We are working only on base of microsoft OS, and am thinking of installing Postgres 9 on a 2 node microsoft cluster as a failsafe solution.

Can I do that, using a builtin feature of Postgres, or is there an extra software I can use?

Many thanks in advance

A. Klinkhammer Förderanlagen Kreative Lager- und Produktionslogistik GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Nürnberg • Registergericht: Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB 15958
Geschäftsführer: Frank Klinkhammer, Gerald Schulz
USt ID: DE 198 660 907 • Steuer Nr.: 241/115/83087

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

Re: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Al-Salami, Adel <saa@klinkhammer.com> wrote:

> We are working only on base of microsoft OS, and am thinking of installing
> Postgres 9 on a 2 node microsoft cluster as a failsafe solution.
>
> Can I do that, using a builtin feature of Postgres, or is there an extra
> software I can use?

PostgreSQL 9.0 or higher is all you for a 2 node cluster.

PostgreSQL 9.1 is available next week and you should start with that.

Good luck and welcome to Postgres.

Re: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 19:55, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Al-Salami, Adel <saa@klinkhammer.com> wrote:
>
>> We are working only on base of microsoft OS, and am thinking of installing
>> Postgres 9 on a 2 node microsoft cluster as a failsafe solution.
>>
>> Can I do that, using a builtin feature of Postgres, or is there an extra
>> software I can use?
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 or higher is all you for a 2 node cluster.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.1 is available next week and you should start with that.

PostgreSQL has worked fine with the 2 node MS failover cluster since
the first native version on Windows, which was 8.0. You need no extra
software, and yo udon't need PostgreSQL 9.0 for it.

I share Simons recommentation that you *should* use PostgreSQL 9.0 or
9.1 though ;) And it also gives you other ways to build the
availability solution than the MS cluster one.

> Good luck and welcome to Postgres.

+1 :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

От
"Al-Salami, Adel"
Дата:
Thanks for the prompt response,

Good to hear that, but really I cannot find a document how to configure Postgres as Failover on a 2 node MS cluster
(onedata store which could be owned by one node at a time and two Postgres Instances on both nodes one is active and
theother is passive, just like oracle Failsafe on ms cluster), the available documentation is only mentioning the
Replicationand standby are the only choices for Postgres High availability and Clustering-Failover not.

Cheers
Adel

>> We are working only on base of microsoft OS, and am thinking of installing
>> Postgres 9 on a 2 node microsoft cluster as a failsafe solution.
>>
>> Can I do that, using a builtin feature of Postgres, or is there an extra
>> software I can use?
>
> PostgreSQL 9.0 or higher is all you for a 2 node cluster.
>
> PostgreSQL 9.1 is available next week and you should start with that.

PostgreSQL has worked fine with the 2 node MS failover cluster since
the first native version on Windows, which was 8.0. You need no extra
software, and yo udon't need PostgreSQL 9.0 for it.

I share Simons recommentation that you *should* use PostgreSQL 9.0 or
9.1 though ;) And it also gives you other ways to build the
availability solution than the MS cluster one.

> Good luck and welcome to Postgres.

+1 :-)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

A. Klinkhammer Förderanlagen Kreative Lager- und Produktionslogistik GmbH
Sitz der Gesellschaft:  Nürnberg • Registergericht: Amtsgericht Nürnberg, HRB 15958
Geschäftsführer: Frank Klinkhammer, Gerald Schulz
USt ID: DE 198 660 907 • Steuer Nr.: 241/115/83087

Diese E-Mail enthält vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen. Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat
sindoder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese
Mail.Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail sind nicht gestattet.

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have
receivedthis e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying,
disclosureor distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

Re: Microsoft Cluster for Failsafe

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 08:54, Al-Salami, Adel <saa@klinkhammer.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the prompt response,
>
> Good to hear that, but really I cannot find a document how to configure Postgres as Failover on a 2 node MS cluster
(onedata store which could be owned by one node at a time and two Postgres Instances on both nodes one is active and
theother is passive, just like oracle Failsafe on ms cluster), the available documentation is only mentioning the
Replicationand standby are the only choices for Postgres High availability and Clustering-Failover not.

You set it up like a "generic service" I think it's called in MSCS. In
a group along with the storage resource and the IP address. And make
sure you have all your postgresql data on that disk. How that's done
should be in the MS documentation.

This is not a PostgreSQL feature really, but one of MSCS, that's why
it's not included in the PostgreSQL documentation. What we have is at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/different-replication-solutions.html,
under "shared disk failover" - that's the MSCS solution.