Обсуждение: Renaming Postgres-2

Renaming Postgres-2

От
Koichi Suzuki
Дата:
Hi All;

This is to announce that we have changed our project name from
Postgres-2 to Postgres-XC (Extensible Cluster) to resolve naming
conflict with Simon's project.

I've just changed the name in PostgreSQL WiKi cluster page.   I'll
update the remaining pages as well as updating according to Josh's format.

Best Regards;
------------
Koichi Suzuki

Re: Renaming Postgres-2

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 3/10/10 6:39 PM, Koichi Suzuki wrote:
> Hi All;
>
> This is to announce that we have changed our project name from
> Postgres-2 to Postgres-XC (Extensible Cluster) to resolve naming
> conflict with Simon's project.

Simon's project?

Anyway, good on the name change.  Nobody was sure what "Postgres-2"
meant anyway.

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Renaming Postgres-2

От
Greg Smith
Дата:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 3/10/10 6:39 PM, Koichi Suzuki wrote:
>
>> This is to announce that we have changed our project name from
>> Postgres-2 to Postgres-XC (Extensible Cluster) to resolve naming
>> conflict with Simon's project.
>>

> Simon's project?

postgres2.org and postgres-2.org are both domain redirects that lead to
2ndQuadrant.  More of a branding domain land grab for names combining
Postgres+2ndQuadrant than an intentional attempt to squat on that as a
project name, as far as I know.

> Anyway, good on the name change.  Nobody was sure what "Postgres-2"
> meant anyway.

Yeah, while it wasn't necessary for the reason stated, I think it's a
good change anyway.  Postgres-XC is just a much better name all around
for this project.  Postgres-2 sounded like a next generation fork
attempting to replace the main database, which is not the impression you
wanted to give.

I fixed http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Postgres-2 so that it redirects
over to the new name automatically, rather than having that manual
redirect page sitting in the middle.  Got rid of this misplaced blame
targeting Simon by name there too--now it just says "the name was
changed due to concerns over it not being unique."

Re: Renaming Postgres-2

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 03:02 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > On 3/10/10 6:39 PM, Koichi Suzuki wrote:
> >
> >> This is to announce that we have changed our project name from
> >> Postgres-2 to Postgres-XC (Extensible Cluster) to resolve naming
> >> conflict with Simon's project.
> >>

> > Simon's project?

postgres2 is the name for an alternate distribution of postgres, in the
same way that postgresXC is. I spoke about the concept of alternate
distros at PGday Europe and also discussed the postgres2 name with a few
people with an interest in that, which Greg would not be aware of.

The primary target for postgres2 would be some advanced developments
funded by a research grant. That grant is still under consideration, due
within next few weeks, even though it was submitted in Autumn 2009
(before Greg joined 2Q). I can't say any more at this time for obvious
reasons other than to say that the dissemination of that research is
required to be a full working version, whether or not those changes fit
within the main release policies and schedule. There would be strong
interaction between the projects and it is definitely not a permanent
fork of Postgres, even more so now that I am a committer on core.

The name clash with Koichi's project was unfortunate and I believe was
resolved politely and honourably, having been under discussion for about
3 months.

No other questions please at this time: I cannot give further info, but
announcements will be made if and when appropriate.