Обсуждение: about and feature matrix on site

about and feature matrix on site

От
Jim Michaels
Дата:
both about and feature matrix on site should contain the critical
feature that the db files can be backed up since they do not mod the fs
under the hood like other DBMS. this is very important for me.

Re: about and feature matrix on site

От
Marko Tiikkaja
Дата:
On 2016-06-20 5:23 PM, Jim Michaels wrote:
> both about and feature matrix on site should contain the critical
> feature that the db files can be backed up since they do not mod the fs
> under the hood like other DBMS. this is very important for me.

Huh?  You can ABSOLUTELY NOT take backups of postgres that way.

.m

Re: about and feature matrix on site

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> On 2016-06-20 5:23 PM, Jim Michaels wrote:
> >both about and feature matrix on site should contain the critical
> >feature that the db files can be backed up since they do not mod the fs
> >under the hood like other DBMS. this is very important for me.
>
> Huh?  You can ABSOLUTELY NOT take backups of postgres that way.

Actually you can, as long as the server is stopped.

Re: about and feature matrix on site

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 6/20/2016 8:48 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
>> >
>> >Huh?  You can ABSOLUTELY NOT take backups of postgres that way.
> Actually you can, as long as the server is stopped.

or if you bracket the backup with pg_{start,stop}_backup() calls...

Re: about and feature matrix on site

Дата:
On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 09:07:22AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 6/20/2016 8:48 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
>     Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
>
>         > On 2016-06-20 5:23 PM, Jim Michaels wrote:
>
>             > >both about and feature matrix on site should contain the critical
>             > >feature that the db files can be backed up since they do not mod the fs
>             > >under the hood like other DBMS. this is very important for me.
>
>         >
>         > Huh?  You can ABSOLUTELY NOT take backups of postgres that way.
>
>     Actually you can, as long as the server is stopped.
>

> or if you bracket the backup with pg_{start,stop}_backup() calls...

And have all the WAL files used during the backup, and do PITR restore.

Re: about and feature matrix on site

От
Jim Michaels
Q: does pgsql create data files using the filesystem and OS API, or does
it try to write directly into NTFS without using the API? because if it
uses the API, I can down the server and back it up as an alternative,
check the fs, etc.

On 6/20/2016 8:48 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
>> On 2016-06-20 5:23 PM, Jim Michaels wrote:
>>> both about and feature matrix on site should contain the critical
>>> feature that the db files can be backed up since they do not mod the fs
>>> under the hood like other DBMS. this is very important for me.
>> Huh?  You can ABSOLUTELY NOT take backups of postgres that way.
> Actually you can, as long as the server is stopped.

Re: about and feature matrix on site

Дата:
On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:06:36PM -0700, Jim Michaels wrote:
> Q: does pgsql create data files using the filesystem and OS API, or does it
> try to write directly into NTFS without using the API? because if it uses
> the API, I can down the server and back it up as an alternative, check the
> fs, etc.

Yes, that is useful, but honestly, few people ask about it, and more
people ask if we support raw devices, which is the opposite of this, so
I don't see how adding it as a features makes sense.

> On 6/20/2016 8:48 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >Marko Tiikkaja wrote:
> >>Huh?  You can ABSOLUTELY NOT take backups of postgres that way.
> >Actually you can, as long as the server is stopped.

Re: about and feature matrix on site

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Jim Michaels wrote:
> Q: does pgsql create data files using the filesystem and OS API, or does it
> try to write directly into NTFS without using the API?

We don't write to the FS directly, and I don't think we would change
that any time soon.

> because if it uses the API, I can down the server and back it up as an
> alternative, check the fs, etc.

Yes, you can do that and it works fine.

Re: about and feature matrix on site

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 11:06:36PM -0700, Jim Michaels wrote:
> > Q: does pgsql create data files using the filesystem and OS API, or does it
> > try to write directly into NTFS without using the API? because if it uses
> > the API, I can down the server and back it up as an alternative, check the
> > fs, etc.
>
> Yes, that is useful, but honestly, few people ask about it, and more
> people ask if we support raw devices, which is the opposite of this, so
> I don't see how adding it as a features makes sense.

Few people ask about this because it already exists, I suppose.

I don't think we're likely to add raw device support any time soon.
I don't know of anyone working in that direction.