Обсуждение: BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

От
jsteffee@bepress.com
Дата:

Bug reference:      14117
Logged by:          Joe Steffee
Email address:      jsteffee@bepress.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
Operating system:   Ubuntu 14.04.2

We have multiple systems which use non-system perl for various tasks,
including perl scripts which test some pg_dump commands. These break because
psql and pg_dump are hard-coded with #!/usr/bin/perl instead of
#!/usr/bin/env perl. The PERL5LIB is set up with libraries based on the perl
called with ENV, where /usr/bin/perl has libraries compiled differently.

Re: BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

Дата:
jsteffee@bepress.com writes:
> We have multiple systems which use non-system perl for various tasks,
> including perl scripts which test some pg_dump commands. These break because
> psql and pg_dump are hard-coded with #!/usr/bin/perl instead of
> #!/usr/bin/env perl. The PERL5LIB is set up with libraries based on the perl
> called with ENV, where /usr/bin/perl has libraries compiled differently.

Uh, what?  Neither of those programs use perl at all.

We do have hard-wired uses of /usr/bin/perl in some scripts that might get
used at build time, but those shouldn't really be an issue, especially not
if you're using prebuilt packages, or even just building from a tarball.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

От
Andres Freund
Дата:
On 2016-04-27 18:27:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> jsteffee@bepress.com writes:
> > We have multiple systems which use non-system perl for various tasks,
> > including perl scripts which test some pg_dump commands. These break because
> > psql and pg_dump are hard-coded with #!/usr/bin/perl instead of
> > #!/usr/bin/env perl. The PERL5LIB is set up with libraries based on the perl
> > called with ENV, where /usr/bin/perl has libraries compiled differently.
>
> Uh, what?  Neither of those programs use perl at all.
>
> We do have hard-wired uses of /usr/bin/perl in some scripts that might get
> used at build time, but those shouldn't really be an issue, especially not
> if you're using prebuilt packages, or even just building from a tarball.

I guess the OP is using the debian/ubuntu packages which have a wrapper
around most postgres binariers which tries to use the correct version of
the binary.

Joe, you might have more success opening a bug-report against either Debian's
or Ubuntu's packages.

Andres

Re: BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

От
Joe Steffee
Дата:
pg_dump and psql are perl programs.

They were installed from http://apt.postgresql.org/pub/repos/apt/

Who maintains apt.postgresql.org?

--
Joe Steffee
Linux Systems Administrator

Re: BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

От
Joe Steffee
Дата:
You're right. /usr/bin/psql is a wrapper for the actual psql command being
called. You can close this bug.

--
Joe Steffee
Linux Systems Administrator
bepress

Re: BUG #14117: psql and pg_dump commands should use ENV perl

От
Christoph Berg
Re: jsteffee@bepress.com 2016-04-27 <20160427202409.19109.81530@wrigleys.postgresql.org>

> Bug reference:      14117
> Logged by:          Joe Steffee
> Email address:      jsteffee@bepress.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
> Operating system:   Ubuntu 14.04.2
>
> We have multiple systems which use non-system perl for various tasks,
> including perl scripts which test some pg_dump commands. These break because
> psql and pg_dump are hard-coded with #!/usr/bin/perl instead of
> #!/usr/bin/env perl. The PERL5LIB is set up with libraries based on the perl
> called with ENV, where /usr/bin/perl has libraries compiled differently.

Hi,

the usage of `#!/usr/bin/perl' is mandated by the Debian policy and
the Perl sub policy, so it is not going to change. If you need a
different Perl, you'll need to dpkg-divert /usr/bin/perl away and
install your version there, I'm afraid.

Christoph