Обсуждение: BUG #14064: Sort order of bytea, etc. not defined

BUG #14064: Sort order of bytea, etc. not defined

От
cpacejo@clearskydata.com
Дата:

Bug reference:      14064
Logged by:          Chris Pacejo
Email address:      cpacejo@clearskydata.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
Operating system:   any

The documentation does not define (nor call out as undefined) the sort order
of bytea, bit varying, and other sequence types.  While the bytea sort order
is unsurprising (a < b if a is a prefix of b, but b > a if a prefix of b >
the same length prefix of a), it is not the only such "unsurprising" sort
order, and it would be helpful to have the guarantee that this sort order
can be relied upon (especially in concert with range types).

Re: BUG #14064: Sort order of bytea, etc. not defined

От
Pavel Golub
Дата:
Hello, Cpacejo.

You wrote:

ccc> The following bug has been logged on the website:

ccc> Bug reference:      14064
ccc> Logged by:          Chris Pacejo
ccc> Email address:      cpacejo@clearskydata.com
ccc> PostgreSQL version: 9.5.2
ccc> Operating system:   any
ccc> Description:

ccc> The documentation does not define (nor call out as undefined) the sort order
ccc> of bytea, bit varying, and other sequence types.  While the bytea sort order
ccc> is unsurprising (a < b if a is a prefix of b, but b > a if a prefix of b >
ccc> the same length prefix of a), it is not the only such "unsurprising" sort
ccc> order, and it would be helpful to have the guarantee that this sort order
ccc> can be relied upon (especially in concert with range types).

You shouls use explicit type casting for such types.

--
With best wishes,
 Pavel                          mailto:pavel@gf.microolap.com

Re: BUG #14064: Sort order of bytea, etc. not defined

От
Chris Pacejo
Дата:
I'm not sure I understand? I know the data is bytea, how would casting it
to another type help? (I don't think casting bytea is even possible?)