Обсуждение: Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes

Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes

От
"Chaya Gilburt"
Дата:
Dear Sirs,

=20

We are observing an odd phenomena with PostgresSQL, which is no doubt =
due to
our using the database improperly.  That database in question is =
PostgresSQL
Version 8.7.1 and runs on a machine installed with Server 2003. The =
DELETE
commands were being issued both from a Windows XP using PostgresSQL =
Version
9.1 and at times, from the server itself.

=20

1.       We have a table that receives a load of data daily from an =
older
system. Every night, we delete some of the rows on the table using a =
DELETE
command from PgAdminIII, perform a VACUUM Full on that table, and then
reload the data using a batch file that contains a series of INSERTS. We =
run
the batch file from the command line prompt. The table seems fine
afterwards, and the data is correct. We then we turn off the system for =
the
night.

=20

2.        First thing next morning, we look at the data and verify that =
it
is the same as it was the night before. Suddenly, as the day goes by, =
the
older, deleted data appears to =93bleed=94 back into the table, creating
duplicate rows. Users are entering new data to that table during the =
day, as
well as looking at the data we loaded the night before, but none of the
duplicate rows are coming from user input, only the system itself. What =
are
we doing wrong?

=20

We have not tried dropping the table and starting over, as that would =
entail
reloading much older data. I think that you will probably say, =93Get =
your
versions in sync right away!=94 It=B4s just that the duplication of data =
occurs
only in this one file where all the deletes are issued every night.

=20

Sincerely,

Chaya Gilburt

Re: Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes

От
John R Pierce
Дата:
On 5/12/2013 9:10 AM, Chaya Gilburt wrote:
> PostgresSQL Version 8.7.1

hopefully, you mean 8.1.7 ?  there never was a 8.7 release, it went up
to 8.4 then rolled over to 9.0

Re: Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Sunday, May 12, 2013 9:40 PM Chaya Gilburt wrote:
> Dear Sirs,

> We are observing an odd phenomena with PostgresSQL, which is no doubt =
due
to our using the database improperly. =A0That database in question is
PostgresSQL Version 8.7.1 and runs on a machine installed=20
> with Server 2003. The DELETE commands were being issued both from a
Windows XP using PostgresSQL Version 9.1 and at times, from the server
itself.

> 1. We have a table that receives a load of data daily from an older
system. Every night, we delete some of the rows on the table using a =
DELETE
command from PgAdminIII, perform a VACUUM Full on that=20
> table, and then reload the data using a batch file that contains a =
series
of INSERTS. We run the batch file from the command line prompt. The =
table
seems fine afterwards, and the data is correct. We=20
> then we turn off the system for the night.

> 2. =A0First thing next morning, we look at the data and verify that it =
is
the same as it was the night before. Suddenly, as the day goes by, the
older, deleted data appears to =93bleed=94 back into the=20
> table, creating duplicate rows. Users are entering new data to that =
table
during the day, as well as looking at the data we loaded the night =
before,
but none of the duplicate rows are coming from user > input, only the =
system
itself. What are we doing wrong?

The system itself cannot insert rows into your tables. I could think of
below 2 reasons for seeing extra rows:

1. Delete has not happened appropriately
2. There are triggers defined on tables which could insert the extra =
rows
you are seeing.

Is the problem you described happen more than once? Could you form =
testcase
which can show such behavior?

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.

Re: Odd Behavior After Multiple Deletes

От
Amit Kapila
Дата:
On Friday, May 24, 2013 6:04 AM Chaya Gilburt wrote:
> Dear Amit Kapila,
>
> The apparent problem with duplicate rows appearing in the database was
> solved. I forgot that I had modified a program to insert payments
> directly
> to the database. Not only that, but I also did not have the program
> delete
> the batch files used, only reopen them as an append. Every time the
> batch
> job was reused, the older inserts still inside the batch file were
> re-inserted along with the new inserts.  I am sorry to have wasted your
> time, but glad that the problem was due to my own idiocy and not
> Postgresql,
> as we love using it.

It is great that you have found the problem in your application and
continuing to use PostgreSql.
I have kept in cc to postgresql mailing chain, as I think it should be known
to every one, so that
any body faces similar problem in future can refer this mail chain.

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.