Обсуждение: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
jan-peter.seifert@gmx.de
Дата:

Bug reference:      6722
Logged by:          Jan-Peter Seifert
Email address:      jan-peter.seifert@gmx.de
PostgreSQL version: 9.1.4
Operating system:   Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)

Hello,

it seems that the debugger doesn't work with current minor versions of
PostgreSQL.

I don't even get the debugging option shown here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7865615/debug-postgresql-function-using-=
pgadmin

It could be connected to these changes:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=3Dpldebugger.git;a=3Dlog

I activated the debugger in postgresql.conf and restarted the server(s)):
shared_preload_libraries =3D '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll'

As there only exists the contrib-script I tried to execute this: c:\Program
Files\PostgreSQL\9.1\share\contrib\pldbgapi.sql

I only get a function not found ( in debugger.dll ) error:

FEHLER: konnte Funktion =C2=BBplpgsql_oid_debug=C2=AB nicht in Datei =C2=BB=
C:/Program
Files/PostgreSQL/9.1/lib/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll=C2=AB finden
SQL Status:42883

If I switch to this it works:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pldbg_oid_debug( OID ) RETURNS INTEGER AS
'$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger' LANGUAGE C STRICT;

It's the same with 8.4.12 ( 32-bit ) and 9.0.8 ( 64-bit ). It's the very
same install script for each version.
In 8.4.12 I also have these two files:
c:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\share\contrib\pldbgapi--1.0.sql
and
c:\Program Files
(x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\share\contrib\pldbgapi--unpackaged--1.0.sql
Obviously they are for PostgreSQL 9.1.
The first says install with 'CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi'
There's no such extension - neither in Windows nor Ubuntu ( One click
installer and aptitude ) nor in the docs.

With best regards,

Peter

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
Hi

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM,  <jan-peter.seifert@gmx.de> wrote:

> Bug reference:      6722
> Logged by:          Jan-Peter Seifert
> Email address:      jan-peter.seifert@gmx.de
> PostgreSQL version: 9.1.4
> Operating system:   Windows 7 Enterprise (64-bit)
>
> Hello,
>
> it seems that the debugger doesn't work with current minor versions of
> PostgreSQL.
>
> I don't even get the debugging option shown here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7865615/debug-postgresql-function-usin=
g-pgadmin

> It could be connected to these changes:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=3Dpldebugger.git;a=3Dlog
>
> I activated the debugger in postgresql.conf and restarted the server(s)):
> shared_preload_libraries =3D '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll'
>
> As there only exists the contrib-script I tried to execute this: c:\Progr=
am
> Files\PostgreSQL\9.1\share\contrib\pldbgapi.sql
>
> I only get a function not found ( in debugger.dll ) error:
>
> FEHLER: konnte Funktion =BBplpgsql_oid_debug=AB nicht in Datei =BBC:/Prog=
ram
> Files/PostgreSQL/9.1/lib/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll=AB finden
> SQL Status:42883
>
> If I switch to this it works:
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pldbg_oid_debug( OID ) RETURNS INTEGER AS
> '$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger' LANGUAGE C STRICT;
>
> It's the same with 8.4.12 ( 32-bit ) and 9.0.8 ( 64-bit ). It's the very
> same install script for each version.
> In 8.4.12 I also have these two files:
> c:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\share\contrib\pldbgapi--1.0.sql
> and
> c:\Program Files
> (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\share\contrib\pldbgapi--unpackaged--1.0.sql
> Obviously they are for PostgreSQL 9.1.
> The first says install with 'CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi'
> There's no such extension - neither in Windows nor Ubuntu ( One click
> installer and aptitude ) nor in the docs.

It looks like it got broken as a result of this commit:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=3Dpldebugger.git;a=3Dcommit;h=3D54d993c=
04809da7cda79013a55b679a615c7dce1

Dharmendra; can you please take a look at this? A quick look at my 9.1
installation shows that the control file is missing along with the SQL
scripts. I only have the old pre-extension SQL script from the
previous point release (that should really be deleted). For 8.4/9.0 of
course, the old installation technique should be used. Please also
ensure the docs are appropriate for all branches.

Thanks.

--=20
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
kargor
Дата:
Hi!

Its possible to start the debugger, but its not really easy.

The control file from git has not worked, so I copied the sql file to
install the functions.
I copied the debugging.dll from plugins into the libdir, too, but I think
this is not necessary (in the conf file the dll from plugins will be
loaded).
I updated the dll to use the old dll (pldbgapi) from lib-dir.
And I always have to reboot the computer after running the script (Windows
XP/32bit), restarting the postgres-server is not enough.

And now I can debug my functions...

Hope it helps, KarGor.

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 08.08.2012 19:05, kargor wrote:
> Its possible to start the debugger, but its not really easy.
>
> The control file from git has not worked, so I copied the sql file to
> install the functions.

How did it not work? What error message did you get? Did you follow the
installation instructions in the README?

> I copied the debugging.dll from plugins into the libdir, too, but I think
> this is not necessary (in the conf file the dll from plugins will be
> loaded).

There is no reference to "debugging.dll" in the git repository, or in
any old version of the debugger either IIRC, so I wonder where that came
from.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
kargor
Дата:
Hi!

Windows XP / Postgres 9.1.4

Of course the correct  name of the dll is ..\lib\plugins\plugin_debugger.dl=
l.

My problems:
* Directory ..\share\contrib is empty.

* CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi;
FEHLER:  konnte Erweiterungskontrolldatei =C2=BBF:/progs/9.1.4/share/extens=
ion/pldbgapi.control=C2=AB nicht =C3=B6ffnen: No such file or directory

* pldbgapi--1.0.sql
This file does not exist, too, nor does any similar file exist.

* Then I tried the old file pldbgapi.sql from a 9.0.? server.
Function name has changed, targetinfo.dll is missing.

* So I have copied the pldbgapi--1.0.sql from git, updated it to use the co=
rrect dlls and then I was able to install the debugger.

* For all version I have used(8.4, 9.0 and now 9.1.4) it was necessary to r=
eboot the computer to use the debugger - restarting the database server is =
not enough!

Greetings, Kari.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 01:50:39 -0700 (PDT)
> Von: "Heikki Linnakangas-3 [via PostgreSQL]" <ml-node+s1045698n5719352h8@=
n5.nabble.com>
> An: kargor <karlgorton@gmx.at>
> Betreff: Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

>=20
>=20
> On 08.08.2012 19:05, kargor wrote:
> > Its possible to start the debugger, but its not really easy.
> >
> > The control file from git has not worked, so I copied the sql file to
> > install the functions.
>=20
> How did it not work? What error message did you get? Did you follow the=
=20
> installation instructions in the README?
>=20
> > I copied the debugging.dll from plugins into the libdir, too, but I
> think
> > this is not necessary (in the conf file the dll from plugins will be
> > loaded).
>=20
> There is no reference to "debugging.dll" in the git repository, or in=20
> any old version of the debugger either IIRC, so I wonder where that came=
=20
> from.
>=20
> --=20
>    Heikki Linnakangas
>    EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com
>=20
> --=20
> Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list (pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org)
> To make changes to your subscription:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
XwxNzgyNjM3ODYy

--=20
-----------------------------
Karl Gorton
KarlGorton@gmx.at

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 09.08.2012 15:07, kargor wrote:
> * CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi;
> FEHLER:  konnte Erweiterungskontrolldatei »F:/progs/9.1.4/share/extension/pldbgapi.control« nicht öffnen: No such
fileor directory

Did you use MinGW or MSVC to build it? Did you perform the install step,
ie. "make install" ?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
kargor
Дата:
I use the binaries provided on the download page. I have not compiled anyth=
ing - I'm a 'stupid' windows user...

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 05:21:27 -0700 (PDT)
> Von: "Heikki Linnakangas-3 [via PostgreSQL]" <ml-node+s1045698n5719373h59=
@n5.nabble.com>
> An: kargor <karlgorton@gmx.at>
> Betreff: Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

>=20
>=20
> On 09.08.2012 15:07, kargor wrote:
> > * CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi;
> > FEHLER:  konnte Erweiterungskontrolldatei
> =C2=BBF:/progs/9.1.4/share/extension/pldbgapi.control=C2=AB nicht =C3=B6f=
fnen: No such file or directory
>=20
> Did you use MinGW or MSVC to build it? Did you perform the install step,=
=20
> ie. "make install" ?
>=20
> --=20
>    Heikki Linnakangas
>    EnterpriseDB   http://www.enterprisedb.com
>=20
> --=20
> Sent via pgsql-bugs mailing list (pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org)
> To make changes to your subscription:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
XwxNzgyNjM3ODYy

--=20
-----------------------------
Karl Gorton
KarlGorton@gmx.at

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 09.08.2012 17:07, kargor wrote:
> I use the binaries provided on the download page. I have not compiled anything - I'm a 'stupid' windows user...

Ok, I see. I just downloaded the 9.1.4 installer, and you're right,
there is no pldbgapi.control file anywhere. Looking at the
README.pldebugger file, the version of pldebugger that the installer
includes certainly should include that file.

Dave, is this a packaging issue? Which version of pldebugger was
included in the 9.1.4 installers?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 09.08.2012 17:07, kargor wrote:
>>
>> I use the binaries provided on the download page. I have not compiled
>> anything - I'm a 'stupid' windows user...
>

> Ok, I see. I just downloaded the 9.1.4 installer, and you're right, there is
> no pldbgapi.control file anywhere. Looking at the README.pldebugger file,
> the version of pldebugger that the installer includes certainly should
> include that file.
>
> Dave, is this a packaging issue? Which version of pldebugger was included in
> the 9.1.4 installers?

It uses the head of the PRE_9_2 branch.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 09.08.2012 17:55, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
>> On 09.08.2012 17:07, kargor wrote:
>>>
>>> I use the binaries provided on the download page. I have not compiled
>>> anything - I'm a 'stupid' windows user...
>>

>> Ok, I see. I just downloaded the 9.1.4 installer, and you're right, there is
>> no pldbgapi.control file anywhere. Looking at the README.pldebugger file,
>> the version of pldebugger that the installer includes certainly should
>> include that file.
>>
>> Dave, is this a packaging issue? Which version of pldebugger was included in
>> the 9.1.4 installers?
>
> It uses the head of the PRE_9_2 branch.

Ok. So, why is pldbgapi.control file not included? It's there in the
repository, and "make install" copies it to share/extension.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 09.08.2012 17:55, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:

>>> Ok, I see. I just downloaded the 9.1.4 installer, and you're right, there
>>> is
>>> no pldbgapi.control file anywhere. Looking at the README.pldebugger file,
>>> the version of pldebugger that the installer includes certainly should
>>> include that file.
>>>
>>> Dave, is this a packaging issue? Which version of pldebugger was included
>>> in
>>> the 9.1.4 installers?
>>

>> It uses the head of the PRE_9_2 branch.
>

> Ok. So, why is pldbgapi.control file not included? It's there in the
> repository, and "make install" copies it to share/extension.

If it's there in the repo, then it shouldn't be. The PRE_9_2 branch of
code is supposed to be how things looked *before* you started your
work - it's the stable branch that we're building the < 9.2 installers
from, and certainly shouldn't have been "extensionised", or had any
other changes made to it except for bug fixes.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 13.08.2012 10:42, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
>> On 09.08.2012 17:55, Dave Page wrote:

>>> It uses the head of the PRE_9_2 branch.
>>
>> Ok. So, why is pldbgapi.control file not included? It's there in the
>> repository, and "make install" copies it to share/extension.
>
> If it's there in the repo, then it shouldn't be. The PRE_9_2 branch of
> code is supposed to be how things looked *before* you started your
> work - it's the stable branch that we're building the<  9.2 installers
> from, and certainly shouldn't have been "extensionised", or had any
> other changes made to it except for bug fixes.

Then that was a misunderstanding when we discussed that back in May then
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2012-05/msg00022.php).
How do you prefer to resolve that now? The extensionised code in PRE_9_2
branch should work on 9.1, if you include all the right files in the
installer, including the control file. Or, we can create a new "real"
pre-9.2 branch at the point before I started any of this work. Or at the
point just before the commit that turned it into an extension. All the
commits prior to that seem fairly harmless, but would need to test that
it works on all supported platforms and server versions.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 9:20 AM, Heikki Linnakangas

>>> Ok. So, why is pldbgapi.control file not included? It's there in the
>>> repository, and "make install" copies it to share/extension.
>>

>> If it's there in the repo, then it shouldn't be. The PRE_9_2 branch of
>> code is supposed to be how things looked *before* you started your
>> work - it's the stable branch that we're building the<  9.2 installers
>> from, and certainly shouldn't have been "extensionised", or had any
>> other changes made to it except for bug fixes.
>

> Then that was a misunderstanding when we discussed that back in May then
> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2012-05/msg00022.php). How
> do you prefer to resolve that now? The extensionised code in PRE_9_2 branch
> should work on 9.1, if you include all the right files in the installer,
> including the control file. Or, we can create a new "real" pre-9.2 branch at
> the point before I started any of this work. Or at the point just before the
> commit that turned it into an extension. All the commits prior to that seem
> fairly harmless, but would need to test that it works on all supported
> platforms and server versions.

It cannot be extensionised - it's used on 8.x too. I think the best
option is to drop the branch, and recreate it from the point
immediately prior to your first change, and then cherry pick any
important bug fixes you may have made into the new branch.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 13.08.2012 11:39, Dave Page wrote:

>>> If it's there in the repo, then it shouldn't be. The PRE_9_2 branch of
>>> code is supposed to be how things looked *before* you started your
>>> work - it's the stable branch that we're building the<   9.2 installers
>>> from, and certainly shouldn't have been "extensionised", or had any
>>> other changes made to it except for bug fixes.
>>

>> Then that was a misunderstanding when we discussed that back in May then
>> (http://archives.postgresql.org/pgadmin-hackers/2012-05/msg00022.php). How
>> do you prefer to resolve that now? The extensionised code in PRE_9_2 branch
>> should work on 9.1, if you include all the right files in the installer,
>> including the control file. Or, we can create a new "real" pre-9.2 branch at
>> the point before I started any of this work. Or at the point just before the
>> commit that turned it into an extension. All the commits prior to that seem
>> fairly harmless, but would need to test that it works on all supported
>> platforms and server versions.
>
> It cannot be extensionised - it's used on 8.x too.

The PRE_9_2 code works against older server versions if you run the .sql
file manually. It just isn't an extension then, obviously.

> I think the best
> option is to drop the branch, and recreate it from the point
> immediately prior to your first change, and then cherry pick any
> important bug fixes you may have made into the new branch.

Agreed. I'm not even going cherry-pick any of the fixes from master -
there's a non-zero risk that something is broken, and given the lack of
complaints from the field about the bugs that were fixed, it's not worth
it. The important thing is that the new code that will be included in
9.2 installers has all the goodies, and that the old versions work as
far as they used to.

I tried to drop and recreate the branch, but the server would not let me
push that change, as it's a non-fast-forward update. Someone needs to
temporarily remove the check for that from the git server - I don't
think I have access to do that. Do you?

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Craig Ringer
Дата:

> I tried to drop and recreate the branch, but the server would not let
> me push that change, as it's a non-fast-forward update. Someone needs
> to temporarily remove the check for that from the git server - I don't
> think I have access to do that. Do you?

pushing with --force didn't work?

git push --force origin mybranch

--
Craig Ringer

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 08/13/2012 07:19 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>

>> I tried to drop and recreate the branch, but the server would not let me
>> push that change, as it's a non-fast-forward update. Someone needs to
>> temporarily remove the check for that from the git server - I don't think I
>> have access to do that. Do you?
>>

> pushing with --force didn't work?
>
> git push --force origin mybranch

Yeah, there is nothing on the git server that should stop you from
doing a force push, I believe.

There are rules in place to stop it from pushing merge commits, if
that has been enabled. But there are no such rules enabled for the
pldebugger one.

Note of course, which you probably already know, that doing a force
push may cause problems for others who have cloned the repository...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:51 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
>> On 08/13/2012 07:19 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>>

>>> I tried to drop and recreate the branch, but the server would not let me
>>> push that change, as it's a non-fast-forward update. Someone needs to
>>> temporarily remove the check for that from the git server - I don't think I
>>> have access to do that. Do you?
>>>

>> pushing with --force didn't work?
>>
>> git push --force origin mybranch
>
> Yeah, there is nothing on the git server that should stop you from
> doing a force push, I believe.
>
> There are rules in place to stop it from pushing merge commits, if
> that has been enabled. But there are no such rules enabled for the
> pldebugger one.
>
> Note of course, which you probably already know, that doing a force
> push may cause problems for others who have cloned the repository...

Yeah - I have a very strong suspicion that's just us though. I've
never heard of anyone else working on the debugger (and it's even less
likely they'd be working on this branch).

Heikki; please try forcing the delete, and let us know if it works OK.
I've CC'd Sachin and Ashesh who can drop the old branch from the
installer build machines for 8.x and 9.0/9.1.

Thanks.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Heikki Linnakangas
Дата:
On 13.08.2012 15:22, Dave Page wrote:
> Heikki; please try forcing the delete, and let us know if it works OK.
> I've CC'd Sachin and Ashesh who can drop the old branch from the
> installer build machines for 8.x and 9.0/9.1.

Ah, I tried forcing the push, didn't help, I got "[remote rejected]
PRE_9_2 -> PRE_9_2 (non-fast-forward)" error.

However, I succeeded by pushing it in two steps. First, I deleted the
branch with "git push  origin :PRE_9_2", and then pushed it again with
"git push origin PRE_9_2". So, it's done now.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Dave Page
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:57 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> On 13.08.2012 15:22, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> Heikki; please try forcing the delete, and let us know if it works OK.
>> I've CC'd Sachin and Ashesh who can drop the old branch from the
>> installer build machines for 8.x and 9.0/9.1.
>

> Ah, I tried forcing the push, didn't help, I got "[remote rejected] PRE_9_2
> -> PRE_9_2 (non-fast-forward)" error.
>
> However, I succeeded by pushing it in two steps. First, I deleted the branch
> with "git push  origin :PRE_9_2", and then pushed it again with "git push
> origin PRE_9_2". So, it's done now.

Thanks. Sachin/Ashesh - I guess we probably need to forcibly update
the branch on the build servers (or just delete the tree, and let the
build script check it out again). Can one of you see to that please?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Astolfo
Дата:
Hi

Could someone provide a short howto about installing debugger for PostgreSQL
9.1 and 9.2?
Even a couple of lines would be very helpful.
I did not find  pldbgapi.sql in the share/contrib folder and the
instructions that one finds online appear outdated.

Thanks in advance.

A.

Re: BUG #6722: Debugger broken?

От
Astolfo
Дата:
Here is the two-lines howto for PG 9.2 for Windows.

Uncomment and edit postgresql.conf:

shared_preload_libraries = '$libdir/plugin_debugger'

NB: in 9.2 the plugin_debugger.dll is not in the (non-existing)
$libdi/plugins folder.

Restart the server.

Run CREATE EXTENSION pldbgapi;

Cheers,