Обсуждение: Ambiguos OPERATOR items in pg_restore manifest file (was: [postgis-devel] utils/new_postgis_restore.pl)

Trying to exclude items from dumps of postgis-enabled databases
we use pg_restore -l output and strip what we think belong to PostGIS.

In doing so, Renzo found that for OPERATOR there are not enough
informations to unambiguosly find it being part of PostGIS (see
included mail snippet).

Do you think this could be improved on the pg_restore side ?

TIA.

--strk;

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk@keybit.net> wrote:
> Trying to exclude items from dumps of postgis-enabled databases
> we use pg_restore -l output and strip what we think belong to PostGIS.
>
> In doing so, Renzo found that for OPERATOR there are not enough
> informations to unambiguosly find it being part of PostGIS (see
> included mail snippet).
>
> Do you think this could be improved on the pg_restore side ?

In 9.1, we've added the concept of EXTENSIONs.  I'm not sure whether
PostGIS is planning to take advantage of this mechanism, but it's
designed to solve exactly this problem.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Ambiguos OPERATOR items in pg_restore manifest file

От
Renzo Kottmann
Дата:
On 07/18/2011 05:25 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk@keybit.net> wrote:
>> Trying to exclude items from dumps of postgis-enabled databases
>> we use pg_restore -l output and strip what we think belong to PostGIS.
>>
>> In doing so, Renzo found that for OPERATOR there are not enough
>> informations to unambiguosly find it being part of PostGIS (see
>> included mail snippet).
>>
>> Do you think this could be improved on the pg_restore side ?
> In 9.1, we've added the concept of EXTENSIONs.  I'm not sure whether
> PostGIS is planning to take advantage of this mechanism, but it's
> designed to solve exactly this problem.

The extensions concept will be a big  step forward, no doubt.

I just do not think that it solves the aforementioned problem. AFAIK
the extension system will be available for 9.1 only. Then it would not
be available for all kinds of dump/restore scenarios <9.1 (in my case
from 8.4 to 9.0).

Re: Ambiguos OPERATOR items in pg_restore manifest file

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM, Renzo Kottmann <rkottman@mpi-bremen.de> wr=
ote:
> On 07/18/2011 05:25 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 9:18 AM, Sandro Santilli <strk@keybit.net> wrote:
>>> Trying to exclude items from dumps of postgis-enabled databases
>>> we use pg_restore -l output and strip what we think belong to PostGIS.
>>>
>>> In doing so, Renzo found that for OPERATOR there are not enough
>>> informations to unambiguosly find it being part of PostGIS (see
>>> included mail snippet).
>>>
>>> Do you think this could be improved on the pg_restore side ?
>> In 9.1, we've added the concept of EXTENSIONs. =A0I'm not sure whether
>> PostGIS is planning to take advantage of this mechanism, but it's
>> designed to solve exactly this problem.
>>
> The extensions concept will be a big =A0step forward, no doubt.
>
> I just do not think that it solves the aforementioned problem. AFAIK
> the extension system will be available for 9.1 only. Then it would not
> be available for all kinds of dump/restore scenarios <9.1 (in my case
> from 8.4 to 9.0).

Yeah, that's a problem.  The mechanism does include some magic that's
supposed to help deal with this.  The idea is -- first, you upgrade to
9.1 -- next, you say something like CREATE EXTENSION ename FROM
unpackaged -- finally, you upgrade the extension using ALTER EXTENSION
UPDATE.  However, I'm not sure whether PostGIS is planning to support
this mechanism, or whether it meets their needs.

--=20