Обсуждение: Re: [JDBC] [ADMIN] Missing documentation for error code: 80S01

Re: [JDBC] [ADMIN] Missing documentation for error code: 80S01

От
"Donald Fraser"
From: "Oliver Jowett" <oliver@opencloud.com>
> If the server is shut down mid-query, doesn't the backend complete the
> current query cycle before closing the connection?
> i.e. we'd see ErrorResponse, ReadyForQuery, and return control to the
> app before seeing EOF anyway?
> The protocol spec is a bit vague there.

From an observation perspective only: It would seem that in the case where
the server is shut down gracefully yes, however in the case where the server
has either crashed or the connection terminated un-gracefully via software
control (for example a C funcion: elog(FATAL, "Terminating connection...");)
then no.

Donald

Re: [JDBC] [ADMIN] Missing documentation for error code: 80S01

От
Robert Haas
Дата:
On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 6:52 AM, Donald Fraser <postgres@kiwi-fraser.net> wrote:
>> If the server is shut down mid-query, doesn't the backend complete the
>> current query cycle before closing the connection?
>> i.e. we'd see ErrorResponse, ReadyForQuery, and return control to the
>> app before seeing EOF anyway?
>> The protocol spec is a bit vague there.
>
> From an observation perspective only: It would seem that in the case where
> the server is shut down gracefully yes, however in the case where the server
> has either crashed or the connection terminated un-gracefully via software
> control (for example a C funcion: elog(FATAL, "Terminating connection...");)
> then no.

A smart shutdown waits for clients to exit on their own.  A fast or
immediate shutdown kills them immediately, even mid-query.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company