Обсуждение: BUG #5739: postgresql will not start

BUG #5739: postgresql will not start

От
"Kim Garren"
Дата:

Bug reference:      5739
Logged by:          Kim Garren
Email address:      dedanna@bjoernvold.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.0.1-2
Operating system:   Arch Linux
Details:

Received update to postgresql 9.0.1-2 yesterday, and now postgresql won't
start. On boot, I receive the [BUSY] message when it attempts to start, but
never receive the [OK] denoting that it has started.

Once booted, I try to start it manually, with the following result:

# /etc/rc.d/postgresql start
:: Starting PostgreSQL
[BUSY] server starting

[DONE]

To test if it starts, I perform the following, with the results included
here:

# /etc/rc.d/postgresql stop
:: Stopping PostgreSQL
[BUSY] pg_ctl: PID file "/var/lib/postgres/data/postmaster.pid" does not
exist
Is server running?

[FAIL]

I have done everything I know to no avail; including uninstalling and
re-installing postgresql.

More info can be obtained here in these forum threads:

http://bjoernvold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=822

A bug for Arch Linux has been filed; however the issue was determined to be
upstream:

https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21560

Anything that can shed some light on this situation would be appreciated; I
have lost my music db because of this.

Thank you.

Re: BUG #5739: postgresql will not start

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
"Kim Garren" <dedanna@bjoernvold.com> wrote:

> Received update to postgresql 9.0.1-2 yesterday

How?  From where?  What were you running before?

> Once booted, I try to start it manually, with the following
> result:
>
> # /etc/rc.d/postgresql start
> :: Starting PostgreSQL
> [BUSY] server starting
>
> [DONE]

What is showing for `ps aux | grep postgres` ?  What is in the logs?

> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/21560

Both of these make it sound like you were upgrading from PostgreSQL
8.4.  This requires a database conversion.  What technique did you
use for that?  (The more specific you can be about the exact steps,
the more likely it is that someone will be able to help you.)

> I have lost my music db because of this.

Not unless you deleted your data directory.  If you don't back it up
regularly, it would certainly be wise to do so before a major
release upgrade.  Making a recursive copy of the database data
directory would be a very good idea right now.

-Kevin