Обсуждение: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in either source or yum/rpm

BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in either source or yum/rpm

От
"Dan Boeriu"
Дата:

Bug reference:      4914
Logged by:          Dan Boeriu
Email address:      dan.boeriu@roost.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.4
Operating system:   Red Hat 5.3
Details:

I tried several times to build Postgres 8.4 with the ossp uuid both from
source and from yum/rpm.
I do have installed on the server uuid 1.6
The only functions I have in 8.4 are:
roost=# \df *uuid*
                            List of functions
   Schema   |   Name    | Result data type | Argument data types |  Type
------------+-----------+------------------+---------------------+--------
 pg_catalog | uuid_cmp  | integer          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_eq   | boolean          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_ge   | boolean          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_gt   | boolean          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_hash | integer          | uuid                | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_in   | uuid             | cstring             | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_le   | boolean          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_lt   | boolean          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_ne   | boolean          | uuid, uuid          | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_out  | cstring          | uuid                | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_recv | uuid             | internal            | normal
 pg_catalog | uuid_send | bytea            | uuid                | normal
(12 rows)

What I used to have is:
roost=# \df *uuid*
                               List of functions
   Schema   |        Name        | Result data type |    Argument data types

------------+--------------------+------------------+-----------------------
----
 pg_catalog | uuid_cmp           | integer          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_eq            | boolean          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_ge            | boolean          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_gt            | boolean          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_hash          | integer          | uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_le            | boolean          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_lt            | boolean          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_ne            | boolean          | uuid, uuid
 pg_catalog | uuid_recv          | uuid             | internal
 pg_catalog | uuid_send          | bytea            | uuid
 public     | uuid_generate_v1   | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_generate_v1mc | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_generate_v3   | uuid             | namespace uuid, name
text
 public     | uuid_generate_v4   | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_generate_v5   | uuid             | namespace uuid, name
text
 public     | uuid_nil           | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_ns_dns        | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_ns_oid        | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_ns_url        | uuid             |
 public     | uuid_ns_x500       | uuid             |
(20 rows)

Now in 8.3.7 I installed a uuid package from postgres yum and run a script:
/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql
which I cannot find anymore in 8.4.
The uninstall script though is present in both 8.3.7 and 8.4:
/usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uninstall_uuid-ossp.sql

How could I get the uuid_generate_vX functions in Postgres 8.4?

Thanks a bunch,
Dan Boeriu.

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in either source or yum/rpm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Dan Boeriu wrote:

> I tried several times to build Postgres 8.4 with the ossp uuid both from
> source and from yum/rpm.
> I do have installed on the server uuid 1.6

> Now in 8.3.7 I installed a uuid package from postgres yum and run a script:
> /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql
> which I cannot find anymore in 8.4.
> The uninstall script though is present in both 8.3.7 and 8.4:
> /usr/share/pgsql/contrib/uninstall_uuid-ossp.sql

This seems a packaging mistake, because the file is present in the build
tree, and after installing it the uuid_generate_v4 function is present.
Maybe you just need to install to postgresql-contrib package?  (But if
the uninstall script is there I guess you already have it)

alvherre=# \i /pgsql/install/84_rel/share/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql
SET
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
alvherre=# \df *uuid*
                                       Listado de funciones
  Esquema   |       Nombre       | Tipo de dato de salida | Tipos de datos de argumentos |  Tipo
------------+--------------------+------------------------+------------------------------+--------
[...]
 public     | uuid_generate_v1   | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_generate_v1mc | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_generate_v3   | uuid                   | namespace uuid, name text    | normal
 public     | uuid_generate_v4   | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_generate_v5   | uuid                   | namespace uuid, name text    | normal
 public     | uuid_nil           | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_ns_dns        | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_ns_oid        | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_ns_url        | uuid                   |                              | normal
 public     | uuid_ns_x500       | uuid                   |                              | normal
(22 filas)

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Dan Boeriu wrote:
> Could you please tell me how you installed it? What exact version did you download? Was it source or yum/rpm?
> I tried both with source compiling with the flags for oops-uuid and still didn't get the function uuid_generate_v4.
>
> If you installed from source please send me the configure flags you used.
> If you installed from yum/rpm please tell me what version/platform.

I compiled from source.  Did you enter the contrib/uuid-ossp directory
and ran make install in there?

$ pg_config --configure
'--enable-debug' '--enable-depend' '--enable-cassert' '--enable-nls'
'--cache-file=/home/alvherre/tmp/pgconfig.84_rel.cache''--enable-thread-safety' '--with-python' '--with-perl'
'--with-tcl''--with-openssl' '--with-libxml' '--with-ossp-uuid' '--prefix=/pgsql/install/84_rel' '--with-pgport=55516'

--
Alvaro Herrera       Valdivia, Chile   ICBM: S 39º 48' 55.3", W 73º 15' 24.7"
Syntax error: function hell() needs an argument.

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm

От
David Kerr
Дата:
- > Could you please tell me how you installed it? What exact version did you download? Was it source or yum/rpm?
- > I tried both with source compiling with the flags for oops-uuid and still didn't get the function uuid_generate_v4.
- >
-
- I compiled from source.  Did you enter the contrib/uuid-ossp directory
- and ran make install in there?
-
- $ pg_config --configure
- '--enable-debug' '--enable-depend' '--enable-cassert' '--enable-nls'
'--cache-file=/home/alvherre/tmp/pgconfig.84_rel.cache''--enable-thread-safety' '--with-python' '--with-perl'
'--with-tcl''--with-openssl' '--with-libxml' '--with-ossp-uuid' '--prefix=/pgsql/install/84_rel' '--with-pgport=55516'
-

Just an addition to this topic.

We're using SLES 11, and uuid-ossp isn't delivered in the postgresql-contrib package, we opened
a case with Novell and this was their reply:

---
With regards to Service Request # 10497898141:

Thank you for the response. Since the PostgreSQL project determined uuid off by default, the SLES RPMs have been left
atthe default. Recompiling
with the settings to turn on uuid is how to enable uuid, but recompiling in no something supported.

I will close this Service Request, since enabling uuid and recompiling are not supported.
---

Dave

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
David Kerr wrote:

> ---
> With regards to Service Request # 10497898141:
>
> Thank you for the response. Since the PostgreSQL project determined
> uuid off by default, the SLES RPMs have been left at the default.
> Recompiling with the settings to turn on uuid is how to enable uuid,
> but recompiling in no something supported.

That seems pretty silly.  Surely if they distribute the OSSP uuid
library they could enable the feature on their packages.

Of course, you can install the contrib module yourself without
recompiling the whole of Postgres, to avoid losing support.

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
On Monday 13 July 2009 19:17:49 David Kerr wrote:
> We're using SLES 11, and uuid-ossp isn't delivered in the
> postgresql-contrib package, we opened a case with Novell and this was their
> reply:
> [some nonsense]

I'm sorry to say that SUSE just isn't a good source if you want to do serious
PostgreSQL deployment.  They ship PostgreSQL because it's there, but they, as
an organization, just don't care enough to consistently provide the packages,
updates, and support that you'd want for serious use.  So if you can't use a
different operating system, either accept what you get and hope you get away
with it, or prepare to spend some resources to do your own maintenance.

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in eithersource or yum/rpm

От
David Kerr
Дата:
- > We're using SLES 11, and uuid-ossp isn't delivered in the
- > postgresql-contrib package, we opened a case with Novell and this was their
- > reply:
- > [some nonsense]
-
- I'm sorry to say that SUSE just isn't a good source if you want to do serious
- PostgreSQL deployment.  They ship PostgreSQL because it's there, but they, as
- an organization, just don't care enough to consistently provide the packages,
- updates, and support that you'd want for serious use.  So if you can't use a
- different operating system, either accept what you get and hope you get away
- with it, or prepare to spend some resources to do your own maintenance.
-

I'm working on my management to allow me to roll my own PG and get a 3rd party
support.

cause.

Dave

Re: BUG #4914: uuid_generate_v4 not present in either source or yum/rpm

От
"Kevin Grittner"
Дата:
David Kerr <dmk@mr-paradox.net> wrote:

> I'm working on my management to allow me to roll my own PG and get a
> 3rd party support.

FWIW, we're a SLES shop, and we've found it best to build our own.

-Kevin