Обсуждение: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

От
"Tom"
Дата:

Bug reference:      4381
Logged by:          Tom
Email address:      tom.c.wright@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.3.3
Operating system:   FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE-p3
Details:

I want to run postgres under daemontools, but no matter what I do, postgres
will not stay in the foreground... has anyone else seen this or know how to
fix it?

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

От
"Heikki Linnakangas"
Tom wrote:
> I want to run postgres under daemontools, but no matter what I do, postgres
> will not stay in the foreground... has anyone else seen this or know how to
> fix it?

How are you starting it then? Just run "postgres -D <datadir>", and it
will stay in foreground.

PS. this is unlikely a bug. Please use the pgsql-general mailing list
next time.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

От
Tom Wright
Дата:
I'm starting it with "postgres -D <datadir>", and it immediately forks
into the background....

Is there something I can do to trap some debug output for you?

Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Tom wrote:
>> I want to run postgres under daemontools, but no matter what I do,
>> postgres
>> will not stay in the foreground... has anyone else seen this or know
>> how to
>> fix it?
>
> How are you starting it then? Just run "postgres -D <datadir>", and it
> will stay in foreground.
>
> PS. this is unlikely a bug. Please use the pgsql-general mailing list
> next time.

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

Дата:
Tom Wright <tom.c.wright@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm starting it with "postgres -D <datadir>", and it immediately forks
> into the background....

Perhaps you have silent_mode set in the configuration file?  AFAIK the
postmaster will never fork away from the caller unless that's been set
in one way or another.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #4381: Postgresql daemon won't stay in the foreground

От
Tom Wright
Дата:
That did it (was set to silent_mode = on by default).

Thank you very much.