Обсуждение: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

От
"Lee Packham"
Дата:

Bug reference:      3699
Logged by:          Lee Packham
Email address:      lpackham@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.5
Operating system:   OSX Leopard
Details:

I have built a patch to enable a working DTrace on OSX with Postgres 8.2.5.
Basically the problem is that the dtrace command on OSX doesn't have the -G
parameter - so you have to use the newer -h method to produce a header file.

I have put the patch on my blog.

http://leenux.org.uk/dtrace-patches/dtrace-with-postgres-on-osx

Hope this is of use to you guys.

Cheers,

Lee Packham

Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

Дата:
"Lee Packham" <lpackham@gmail.com> writes:
> I have built a patch to enable a working DTrace on OSX with Postgres 8.2.5.

You can't seriously expect us to accept a patch that rips out Solaris
dtrace support to put in OSX dtrace support :-(.  Can't you fix it so
that it still uses the PG_TRACEn macros?

BTW, where did you get dtrace for OSX, anyway?  I don't see it on my
machines here...

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

От
Robert Lor
From: Lee Packham <lpackham@gmail.com>

> I have built a patch to enable a working DTrace on OSX with Postgres 8.2.5.
> Basically the problem is that the dtrace command on OSX doesn't have
> the -G
> parameter - so you have to use the newer -h method to produce a header
> file.

It bothers me that the Apple's Dtrace port doesn't have the -G flag. We chose the current approach for simplicity and
atthe same time allowing us to easily introduce a generic framework so other OSes can plug in a similar tool if needed.
Ihave yet to review your patch in detail, but I hope it doesn't break this generic framework. More later...

-Robert

Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

От
"Lee Packham"
Дата:
The only thing I couldn't do was sort out the makefile to auto
generate the header file. So the patch has a pre-built header file.

I don't know Make well, enough. Sorry.

But yeah - I was pretty annoyed they broke the -G parameter (i.e.
didn't include it at all.

Cheers,

Lee.

On 10/26/07, Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@sun.com> wrote:
> From: Lee Packham <lpackham@gmail.com>
>
> > I have built a patch to enable a working DTrace on OSX with Postgres 8.2.5.
> > Basically the problem is that the dtrace command on OSX doesn't have
> > the -G
> > parameter - so you have to use the newer -h method to produce a header
> > file.
> >

> It bothers me that the Apple's Dtrace port doesn't have the -G flag. We chose the current approach for simplicity and
atthe same time allowing us to easily introduce a generic framework so other OSes can plug in a similar tool if needed.
Ihave yet to review your patch in detail, but I hope it doesn't break this generic framework. More later...

> -Robert

Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

Дата:
"Lee Packham" <lpackham@gmail.com> writes:
> Dtrace is in Leopard. Just so you know :)

Hmph ... that might be enough of a reason to upgrade right there ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #3699: Fails to compile DTrace Support

От
Robert Lor
Дата:
Tom Lane-2 wrote:

> "Lee Packham" <lpackham@gmail.com> writes:
>> Dtrace is in Leopard. Just so you know :)
>
> Hmph ... that might be enough of a reason to upgrade right there ...

I believe ZFS is also in Leopard. Even more reason to upgrade!

-Robert