Обсуждение: BUG #3645: regular expression back references seem broken

BUG #3645: regular expression back references seem broken

От
"Eric Haszlakiewicz"
Дата:

Bug reference:      3645
Logged by:          Eric Haszlakiewicz
Email address:      erh+pgsql@swapsimple.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.2.5
Operating system:   NetBSD
Details:

I was attempting to create a simple regular expression that uses back
references and I noticed some very odd behaviour.  This regexp is supposed
to match a string where all the characters are the same:

^(.)\1*$

If I try it, it doesn't work.  I would expect this to return false:

template1=# select 'xyz' ~ E'^(.)\\1*$';
 ?column?
----------
(1 row)

But adding some extra parens does:
template1=# select 'xyz' ~ E'^(.)(\\1)*$';
 ?column?
----------
(1 row)

As does changing the "." to an "x":

template1=# select 'xyz' ~ E'^(x)\\1*$';
 ?column?
----------
(1 row)

As does forcing it to be a extended regular expression:

template1=# select 'xyz' ~ E'(?e)^(.)\\1*$';
 ?column?
----------
(1 row)

The docs claim: "A single non-zero digit, not followed by another digit, is
always taken as a back reference."  (The note at the end of 9.7.3.3)

It's relatively easy to work around the problem, but it certainly led to a
fair bit of head scratching while trying to debug some code. :)

Re: BUG #3645: regular expression back references seem broken

Дата:
"Eric Haszlakiewicz" <erh+pgsql@swapsimple.com> writes:
> I would expect this to return false:

> template1=# select 'xyz' ~ E'^(.)\\1*$';
>  ?column?
> ----------
> (1 row)

Seems to be a bug in the Tcl regexp library we use.  It's already
reported upstream:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1115587&group_id=10894&atid=110894

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Eric Haszlakiewicz" <erh+pgsql@swapsimple.com> writes:
>> I would expect this to return false:
>
>> template1=# select 'xyz' ~ E'^(.)\\1*$';
>>  ?column?
>> ----------
>> (1 row)
>
> Seems to be a bug in the Tcl regexp library we use.  It's already
> reported upstream:
> https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1115587&group_id=10894&atid=110894
>
>             regards, tom lane

er.. it's been languishing there for over 2 years.  That doesn't sound
very promising for getting it fixed. :(

eric

Re: BUG #3645: regular expression back references seem broken

Added to TODO:

* Fix regular expression bug when using complex back-references

  http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-10/msg00000.php