Обсуждение: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

От
"Pit M."
Дата:
Following query fails in pgAdmin which is OK because the field PLZZ
contains characters:

select * from "PERSONEN" where (CAST("PERSONEN"."PLZZ" AS INTEGER) >=
70000 );

but if using the same query with a cursor ist works:

START TRANSACTION;

DECLARE c21112234 SCROLL CURSOR FOR select * from "PERSONEN" where
(CAST("PERSONEN"."PLZZ" AS INTEGER) >= 70000;

COMMIT;

Why??
In my opinion this query should also fail with cursors.

I use libpq with PG 8.2.1.
The field PLZZ is of type varchar.

Re: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

Дата:
"Pit M." <fmi-soft@gmx.de> writes:
> Following query fails in pgAdmin which is OK because the field PLZZ
> contains characters:

> select * from "PERSONEN" where (CAST("PERSONEN"."PLZZ" AS INTEGER) >=
> 70000 );

> but if using the same query with a cursor ist works:

> START TRANSACTION;

> DECLARE c21112234 SCROLL CURSOR FOR select * from "PERSONEN" where
> (CAST("PERSONEN"."PLZZ" AS INTEGER) >= 70000;

> COMMIT;

> In my opinion this query should also fail with cursors.

It would have failed if you had run the cursor far enough to fetch one
of the bad rows.

            regards, tom lane

Re: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

От
"Pit M."
Дата:
> It would have failed if you had run the cursor far enough to fetch one
> of the bad rows.
>
>             regards, tom lane

The difference is that in one case the query fails and in the other the
FETCH command fails.

Our problem is that if a query succeeds we use a count(*) of that query
to display the result count in the status bar of our application - the
select works but the count(*) fails :-)
When we use this query on MS SQL-Server the query fails directly though
we also use cursors here. So the SQL-Server somehow checks all the data
only for the query -> perhaps because we used a server side cursor.

Will there be any improvements with cursors in PG 8.3?

Thanks a lot tom

Re: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

От
Magnus Hagander
Дата:
Pit M. wrote:

>> It would have failed if you had run the cursor far enough to fetch one
>> of the bad rows.
>>
>>             regards, tom lane
>>
> The difference is that in one case the query fails and in the other the
> FETCH command fails.
>

> Our problem is that if a query succeeds we use a count(*) of that query
> to display the result count in the status bar of our application - the
> select works but the count(*) fails :-)
> When we use this query on MS SQL-Server the query fails directly though
> we also use cursors here. So the SQL-Server somehow checks all the data
> only for the query -> perhaps because we used a server side cursor.

IIRC, the behavior of MSSQL will depend on the query plan. If it's a
plan that requires doesn't require materialization at all, it won't
figure it out until you get there.

//Magnus

Re: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: ""

Дата:
> IIRC, the behavior of MSSQL will depend on the query plan. If it's a
> plan that requires doesn't require materialization at all, it won't
> figure it out until you get there.

... which is pretty much what we do, too.

            regards, tom lane