Обсуждение: BUG #3120: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user"

BUG #3120: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user"

От
"ravishankar"
Дата:

Bug reference:      3120
Logged by:          ravishankar
Email address:      ravishankar@celcabs.com
PostgreSQL version: 7.4.6
Operating system:   Redhat ES 4.0
Details:

If I attempt the commands "\d" in psql, I get this:

ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist

Can anyone suggest or help how to comeout of this problem?

Re: BUG #3120: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user"

Дата:
"ravishankar" <ravishankar@celcabs.com> writes:
> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.6
> Operating system:   Redhat ES 4.0

> If I attempt the commands "\d" in psql, I get this:
> ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist

SELinux problem.  See, eg,
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-02/msg00174.php

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> "ravishankar" <ravishankar@celcabs.com> writes:
> > PostgreSQL version: 7.4.6
> > Operating system:   Redhat ES 4.0
>
> > If I attempt the commands "\d" in psql, I get this:
> > ERROR: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user" does not exist
>
> SELinux problem.  See, eg,
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-02/msg00174.php

Can we improve that error message by checking for pg_user and SELinux,
and suggesting that SELinux is the cause?

Re: BUG #3120: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user"

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> "ravishankar" <ravishankar@celcabs.com> writes:
>>> PostgreSQL version: 7.4.6
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Can we improve that error message by checking for pg_user and SELinux,
> and suggesting that SELinux is the cause?

We're not in the business of inventing new error message texts for
long-gone releases.  Particularly since the OP's problem would be
actually fixed, not just band-aided over, if he were running a newer
release.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
>                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> > Can we improve that error message by checking for pg_user and SELinux,
> > and suggesting that SELinux is the cause?
>
> We're not in the business of inventing new error message texts for
> long-gone releases.  Particularly since the OP's problem would be
> actually fixed, not just band-aided over, if he were running a newer
> release.

Oh, so this would not be a problem in newer PostgreSQL releases.  I
thought it was at general SELinux problem.

Re: BUG #3120: relation "pg_catalog.pg_user"

Дата:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> We're not in the business of inventing new error message texts for
>> long-gone releases.  Particularly since the OP's problem would be
>> actually fixed, not just band-aided over, if he were running a newer
>> release.

> Oh, so this would not be a problem in newer PostgreSQL releases.  I
> thought it was at general SELinux problem.

No, the problem is specifically that Red Hat's first RHEL4 Postgres
releases hadn't been tested adequately under SELinux.  (Which is surely
my fault, but too late now.)  I see no point in putting a test into
7.4.17 for a problem that was fixed in 7.4.7 or thereabouts.

            regards, tom lane