Обсуждение: BUG #2561: Manual is wrong: You can't grant a group to public

BUG #2561: Manual is wrong: You can't grant a group to public

От
"Brian Hurt"
Дата:

Bug reference:      2561
Logged by:          Brian Hurt
Email address:      bhurt@janestcapital.com
PostgreSQL version: 8.01
Operating system:   Documentation
Details:

The manual page for grant here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-grant.html

indicates that you can grant a group to public.  The discussion of
priveleges here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/privileges.html

indicates that you can't, and experiment with 8.01 confirms that you can't
as well.  I'm assuming this is a cut and paste error with the documentation.

Re: BUG #2561: Manual is wrong: You can't grant a group to public

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Brian Hurt wrote:

> The manual page for grant here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-grant.html
>
> indicates that you can grant a group to public.  The discussion of
> priveleges here:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/privileges.html
>
> indicates that you can't, and experiment with 8.01 confirms that you can't
> as well.  I'm assuming this is a cut and paste error with the documentation.

Why are you trying 8.1 docs against 8.0 software?

Re: BUG #2561: Manual is wrong: You can't grant a group to public

Дата:
"Brian Hurt" <bhurt@janestcapital.com> writes:
> The manual page for grant here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-grant.html
> indicates that you can grant a group to public.  The discussion of
> priveleges here:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/privileges.html
> indicates that you can't,

Actually, I see nothing in that part of the manual mentioning that you
can't, either, but it's indeed true.  Text adjusted in 8.1 and HEAD.
Thanks for the report.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BUG #2561: Manual is wrong: You can't grant a group to

От
Brian Hurt
Дата:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

>Brian Hurt wrote:
>

>>The manual page for grant here:
>>
>>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-grant.html
>>
>>indicates that you can grant a group to public.  The discussion of
>>priveleges here:
>>
>>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/privileges.html
>>
>>indicates that you can't, and experiment with 8.01 confirms that you can't
>>as well.  I'm assuming this is a cut and paste error with the documentation.
>>

>Why are you trying 8.1 docs against 8.0 software?

Sorry- my typo.  System is 8.1, not 8.0.1.

Did this work in 8.0?

Brian