Обсуждение: foreign key constraint not working when index tablespace is not default.

foreign key constraint not working when index tablespace is not default.

От
Joel Krajden
Дата:
I have two tablespaces: fis (default) and fis_index. The users are required to
create the tables in fis and the indexes if fis_index.

If the indexes are created in fis_index, the foreign key constraints in the
user table are ignored on insert and update.

The constraints work properly if the indexes are created in the default
tablespace.

Joel

----------

fis=> SELECT version();
                                 version
  PostgreSQL 8.0.1 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 3.3.2
(1 row)

-- Department Mappings
-- -------------------
-- Mapping between the department code and the full department name.

CREATE TABLE dept_map (

   code         VARCHAR(2),
   description  VARCHAR(64),

   PRIMARY KEY( code ) USING INDEX TABLESPACE fis_index

-- Card Access category mappings.
-- ------------------------------
-- Different access level to the card access application.

CREATE TABLE card_category_map (

   code         VARCHAR(16),
   description  VARCHAR(64),

   PRIMARY KEY( code ) USING INDEX TABLESPACE fis_index
);

-- Fis Category Mappings
-- ---------------------
-- Mapping between categories in FIS and access levels in card access.

CREATE TABLE fis_title_map (

   fis_title  VARCHAR(64),
   card_category VARCHAR(64),

   PRIMARY KEY( fis_title )  USING INDEX TABLESPACE fis_index,

   FOREIGN KEY( card_category ) REFERENCES card_category_map( code )

);

-- Users
-- --------------------
-- Table of users with valid accounts to the application.
--
CREATE TABLE users (

   username   VARCHAR(8),
   name       VARCHAR(64),
   email      VARCHAR(128),
   department VARCHAR(2),
   title      VARCHAR(64),

   PRIMARY KEY( name, department, title ) USING INDEX TABLESPACE fis_index,

   FOREIGN KEY( department ) REFERENCES dept_map( code ),
   FOREIGN KEY( title )      REFERENCES fis_title_map( fis_title )

);

--
| Joel Krajden              | Rm: LB-915,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052         |
|                           | Fax: 514 848-2830                           |

Re: foreign key constraint not working when index tablespace is not default.

Дата:
Joel Krajden <joelk@cs.concordia.ca> writes:
> If the indexes are created in fis_index, the foreign key constraints in the
> user table are ignored on insert and update.

Works for me...

$ mkdir /tmp/fis
$ mkdir /tmp/fis_index
$ psql regression
regression=# create tablespace fis location '/tmp/fis';
CREATE TABLESPACE
regression=# create tablespace fis_index location '/tmp/fis_index';
CREATE TABLESPACE
regression=# \i joel.sql
psql:joel.sql:11: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "dept_map_pkey" for table "dept_map"
CREATE TABLE
psql:joel.sql:23: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "card_category_map_pkey" for table
"card_category_map"
CREATE TABLE
psql:joel.sql:38: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "fis_title_map_pkey" for table
"fis_title_map"
CREATE TABLE
psql:joel.sql:57: NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / PRIMARY KEY will create implicit index "users_pkey" for table "users"
CREATE TABLE
regression=# insert into users values('username','name','email','dp','title');
ERROR:  insert or update on table "users" violates foreign key constraint "users_department_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (department)=(dp) is not present in table "dept_map".
regression=# insert into dept_map values('dp','desc');
INSERT 0 1
regression=# insert into users values('username','name','email','dp','title');
ERROR:  insert or update on table "users" violates foreign key constraint "users_title_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (title)=(title) is not present in table "fis_title_map".
regression=# insert into fis_title_map values('title','cardcat');
ERROR:  insert or update on table "fis_title_map" violates foreign key constraint "fis_title_map_card_category_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (card_category)=(cardcat) is not present in table "card_category_map".
regression=# insert into card_category_map values('cardcat','desc');
INSERT 0 1
regression=# insert into fis_title_map values('title','cardcat');
INSERT 0 1
regression=# insert into users values('username','name','email','dp','title');
INSERT 0 1
regression=#

            regards, tom lane

Re: foreign key constraint not working when index tablespace

От
Joel Krajden
Дата:
Hi  Tom,

Ok. You are right but I am not crazy (yet).

If I create the tables and indexes as user postgres it works like a charm.

But if I create the tables as a mortal user or create them as postgres but in
the schema of user joelk and grant all to user joelk, I can insert data
without the foreign key constraint being respected. Now if I drop the foreign
key constraint and recreate it with a schema prefix in the references section,
the constarint works fine.

alter table joelk.jk_users add FOREIGN KEY (department) REFERENCES
joelk.jk_map(code);

fis=> INSERT INTO joelk.jk_users VALUES( 'fancott', 'Fancott, T.',
'fancott@cs.concordia.ca', '08', 'Professor' );
ERROR:  insert or update on table "jk_users" violates foreign key constraint
"jk_users_department_fkey"
DETAIL:  Key (department)=(08) is not present in table "jk_map".

fis=> \d jk_users              Table "joelk.jk_users"
    Column   |          Type          | Modifiers
------------+------------------------+-----------
  username   | character varying(8)   |
  name       | character varying(64)  | not null
  email      | character varying(128) |
  department | character varying(2)   | not null
  title      | character varying(64)  | not null
     "jk_users_pkey" PRIMARY KEY, btree (name, department, title)
Foreign-key constraints:
     "jk_users_department_fkey" FOREIGN KEY (department) REFERENCES jk_map(code)

Everything also works fine if a mortal user creates the tables and indexes in
the appropriate tablespaces and uses the schema.table(column_name) in the
references section of the foreign key constraint.

Strange.

Not sure if this is relevant - in this database I dropped the public schema
and I had to grant all to the group public so that users could create indexes
in the fis_index tablespace.

fis=> \db+
                                       List of tablespaces
     Name    |  Owner   |             Location              |         Access
privileges
------------+----------+-----------------------------------+-----------------------------------
  fis        | postgres | /local/data/pgsql-8.0/fis         |
  fis_index  | postgres | /local/data/pgsql-8.0/fis_index   |
{postgres=C/postgres,=C/postgres}

  Thanks for looking into it.

Regards

joel

--
| Joel Krajden              | Rm: LB-915,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052         |
|                           | Fax: 514 848-2830                           |
| Senior Systems Analyst    | Email: joelk@cs.concordia.ca                |
| Engineering & Computer Sc.| http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~staffcs/joelk   |
| Concordia University      |   Remember it's a circus and the clowns     |
| Montreal, Canada          |   are supposed to make you laugh, not cry.  |

Re: foreign key constraint not working when index tablespace is not default.

Дата:
Joel Krajden <joelk@cs.concordia.ca> writes:
> But if I create the tables as a mortal user or create them as postgres
> but in the schema of user joelk and grant all to user joelk, I can
> insert data without the foreign key constraint being respected. Now if
> I drop the foreign key constraint and recreate it with a schema prefix
> in the references section, the constarint works fine.

This is even harder to believe than the first report.  Could we see a
complete, self-contained test case?  A SQL script that demonstrates the
problem from a standing start in an empty database is what I have in mind.

(What I suspect is that you have multiple similarly-named tables in
different schemas and are getting confused by that...)

            regards, tom lane

Re: foreign key constraint not working when index tablespace

От
Joel Krajden
Дата:
I don't think I am crazy and the user who showed me the problem exists - but
damn it neither he or I cannot duplicate the problem. The only thing that
changed is each of us has logged out of our session and logged back in.

The only thing that could have happened is that sometime in the past the
schema search path changed after the user logged in. There was no other table
with a duplicate name in another schema.

Thanks for doing the sanity check.

Joel