Обсуждение: 7.1.3 ecpg answered BUT...

7.1.3 ecpg answered BUT...

От
Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu
Дата:
In more research in this problem I found that if the
EXEC SQL OPEN cursor; command was not present that
ecpg would just comment out the cusrsor declare statements.

Might I make a suggestion that the software designers
make a rule to give some kind of notice at compile time
(rather than only an error upon execution, which takes
up a lot of peoples time ;) when situations like this
are present.  If this problem has already been resolved
in subsequent versions GREAT!  If not please pass along
this suggestion to the appropriate people.

Thanks again for your time and help!
Lynn

Re: 7.1.3 ecpg answered BUT...

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu writes:
> In more research in this problem I found that if the
> EXEC SQL OPEN cursor; command was not present that
> ecpg would just comment out the cusrsor declare statements.

Please use a recent version and give us a reproduceable example if you expect
any kind of feedback.

Re: 7.1.3 ecpg answered BUT...

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
May I aks you why you sent he same topic with different emails to -bugs
and to -general without even giving us a chance to answer? It has not
been a cross-post, so I fail to see the reasoning. Anyway ..

On Fri, Dec 19, 2003 at 09:58:05AM -0700, Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu wrote:
> In more research in this problem I found that if the
> EXEC SQL OPEN cursor; command was not present that
> ecpg would just comment out the cusrsor declare statements.

No, this is not correct. ecpg ALWAYS just comments out the cursor
declare statement.

> Might I make a suggestion that the software designers
> make a rule to give some kind of notice at compile time
> (rather than only an error upon execution, which takes
> up a lot of peoples time ;) when situations like this
> are present.  If this problem has already been resolved

You are free to declare cursors as many as you like. The standard
clearly says that a cursor is created with an open call, so you surely
have to use open somewhere to use your cursor.

However, it certainly is no bug if you declare a cursor that is not
used.

Interestingly though, yours is the first complaint about this unless I
forgot all the others.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes