Обсуждение: datatypes: text vs varchar

datatypes: text vs varchar

От
Ruslan A Dautkhanov
Дата:
Hello,

    Can anybody tell us - how much 'text' datatype harder for
    database vs 'varchar(xx)' datatype? How much queries, which
    use this types differ in performance? We use only 'text'
    fields. Is 'varchar' (without specifying width) synonym
    for 'text', or not?    Thanks.

    ---
      best regards,
    Ruslan A Dautkhanov   rusland@scn.ru

Re: datatypes: text vs varchar

От
Neil Conway
Дата:

http://www.ca.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/datatype-character.html

>From that page: "Tip:  There are no performance differences between
these three types, apart from the increased storage size when using the
blank-padded type."

Cheers,

Neil