Обсуждение: ECPG bug in --help

ECPG bug in --help

От
Lee Kindness
Дата:
Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
Year...

When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:

      -t   turn on autocommit of transactions

amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
documentation?

Best regards, Lee.

--
 Lee Kindness,   Senior Software Engineer,   lkindness@csl.co.uk
 Concept Systems Ltd., 1 Logie Mill, Edinburgh EH7 4HG, Scotland

Re: ECPG bug in --help

Дата:
Lee Kindness wrote:
> Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
> Year...
>
> When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:
>
>       -t   turn on autocommit of transactions
>
> amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
> documentation?

I believe ecpg.sgml is wrong and that in fact the ecpg --help is
correct.  I got this by reading the file preproc/ecpg.c and
lib/connect.c.

I have committed the change to ecpg.sgml but of course Michael is the
final authority on this.

Re: ECPG bug in --help

Дата:
Lee Kindness wrote:
> Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
> Year...
>
> When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:
>
>       -t   turn on autocommit of transactions
>
> amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
> documentation?

Looking at this I also found an ecpg TODO list in the docs:

    http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/ecpg-develop.html

Seems that TODO section should be removed.  Some items are done, others
are on the main TODO list.

Re: ECPG bug in --help

Дата:
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 04:02:14PM +0000, Lee Kindness wrote:
> > Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
> > Year...
>
> Sure. Thanks.
>
> > When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:
> >
> >       -t   turn on autocommit of transactions
> >
> > amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
> > documentation?
>
> No, this is correct. However, there are some problems in the wording.
> autocommit means "use the default transactions from PGSQL" while
> auto-transaction mode means to "start a new transaction after each commit".
> The latter is the way Oracle handles this, you just have to issue commits
> but no begin trans. The first of course is the very same as working with
> pgsql.
>
> This needs some clearer wording urgently. I haven't checked Bruce changes so
> far.

I merely changed ecpg.sgml to match the --help message, which is (I
thought) correct.  The Ingres wording "autocommit" means the standard we
have in pgsql, that is a single query is assumed to be a single
transaction and BEGIN must be used to create multi-query transactions.

OK, I see your wording now.  ref/ecpg.sgml was originally correct too,
but the confusion was that --help talked about autocommit on while
ecpg.sgml talked about auto-transaction off.  I have updated the entry
to be:

     <varlistentry>
      <term>-t</term>
      <listitem>
       <para>
        Turn on auto-commit of transactions.
       </para>
      </listitem>
     </varlistentry>

This now matches --help.  Please let me know how you like it.  Good
catch.

Re: ECPG bug in --help

Дата:
Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:52:32PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Looking at this I also found an ecpg TODO list in the docs:
> >
> >     http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/ecpg-develop.html
> >
> > Seems that TODO section should be removed.  Some items are done, others
> > are on the main TODO list.
>
> That's correct. I did not fix the docs for quite some time.

Thanks for the confirmation.  SGML updated.

Re: ECPG bug in --help

От
Michael Meskes
Дата:
On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 04:02:14PM +0000, Lee Kindness wrote:
> Michael, hope you've had a good Christmas & all the best for the New
> Year...

Sure. Thanks.

> When you run 'ecpg --help' you get the following:
>
>       -t   turn on autocommit of transactions
>
> amongst the other options... Shouldn't this be OFF as per the
> documentation?

No, this is correct. However, there are some problems in the wording.
autocommit means "use the default transactions from PGSQL" while
auto-transaction mode means to "start a new transaction after each commit".
The latter is the way Oracle handles this, you just have to issue commits
but no begin trans. The first of course is the very same as working with
pgsql.

This needs some clearer wording urgently. I haven't checked Bruce changes so
far.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes