Обсуждение: Postgres in Upcoming Book

Postgres in Upcoming Book

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Postgres is the RDBMS of choice in this upcoming book called "Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement" (http://pragprog.com/book/rwdata/seven-databases-in-seven-weeks).  In additional to SQL basics, it appears it will be covering PL/PGSQL, rules, and fulltext searching.   An excerpt I thought worth sharing from the introduction:

"Battle-hardened Postgres is by far the oldest and most robust database we cover. With its adherence to the SQL standard, it will feel familiar to anyone who has worked with relational databases before, and provides a solid point for comparison to the other databases we’ll work with. We’ll also explore some of SQL’s unsung features and Postgres’s specific advantages. There’s something for everyone here, from SQL novice to expert"

Thought it might be worth keeping track of as it is promoting Postgres!

Jonathan

Re: Postgres in Upcoming Book

От
Thom Brown
Дата:
On 30 November 2011 17:01, Jonathan S. Katz
<jonathan.katz@excoventures.com> wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Postgres is the RDBMS of choice in
> this upcoming book called "Seven Databases in Seven Weeks: A Guide to Modern
> Databases and the NoSQL Movement"
> (http://pragprog.com/book/rwdata/seven-databases-in-seven-weeks).  In
> additional to SQL basics, it appears it will be covering PL/PGSQL, rules,
> and fulltext searching.   An excerpt I thought worth sharing from the
> introduction:
> "Battle-hardened Postgres is by far the oldest and most robust database
> we cover. With its adherence to the SQL standard, it will feel familiar to
> anyone who has worked with relational databases before, and provides a solid
> point for comparison to the other databases we’ll work with. We’ll also
> explore some of SQL’s unsung features and Postgres’s specific advantages.
> There’s something for everyone here, from SQL novice to expert"
> Thought it might be worth keeping track of as it is promoting Postgres!
> Jonathan

What a wise and insightful book. ;)

--
Thom

Re: Postgres in Upcoming Book

От
Josh Berkus
Дата:
On 11/30/11 9:01 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Postgres is the RDBMS of choice in this upcoming book called "Seven Databases
inSeven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement"
(http://pragprog.com/book/rwdata/seven-databases-in-seven-weeks). In additional to SQL basics, it appears it will be
coveringPL/PGSQL, rules, and fulltext searching.   An excerpt I thought worth sharing from the introduction:

Nice.  Are you providing them feedback/corrections for the beta version
of the book?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Postgres in Upcoming Book

От
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Дата:
On Nov 30, 2011, at 12:56 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> On 11/30/11 9:01 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> Not sure if anyone has seen this, but Postgres is the RDBMS of choice in this upcoming book called "Seven Databases
inSeven Weeks: A Guide to Modern Databases and the NoSQL Movement"
(http://pragprog.com/book/rwdata/seven-databases-in-seven-weeks). In additional to SQL basics, it appears it will be
coveringPL/PGSQL, rules, and fulltext searching.   An excerpt I thought worth sharing from the introduction:

> Nice.  Are you providing them feedback/corrections for the beta version
> of the book?

I just saw the book today in the Pragmatic Programmers newsletter - will try reaching out to them to say the PG
communitywould be interested in helping in whatever way (e.g. feedback/corrections).

Jonathan