Обсуждение: Release notes introductory text

Release notes introductory text

Дата:
[ BCC to docs and hackers.  Sorry this seems like the only logical way
to do this.]

I have added the following introductory paragraph to the release notes:

    This release represents a major leap forward by adding significant new
    functionality and performance enhancements to
    <productname>PostgreSQL</>. Many complex ideas that normally take years
    to implement were added rapidly to this release by our development team.
    This release starts <productname>PostgreSQL</> on a trajectory moving
    beyond feature-parity with other database systems to a time when
    <productname>PostgreSQL</> will be a technology leader in the database
    field. Major new capabilities in this release include:

The full release text with my edits to "major" and "migration" sections
is included:

    http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release-8-3.html

Comments?

Re: Release notes introductory text

От
usleepless@gmail.com
Дата:
Hi,

On 10/11/07, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> [ BCC to docs and hackers.  Sorry this seems like the only logical way
> to do this.]
>
> I have added the following introductory paragraph to the release notes:
>
>     This release represents a major leap forward by adding significant new
>     functionality and performance enhancements to
>     <productname>PostgreSQL</>. Many complex ideas that normally take years
>     to implement were added rapidly to this release by our development team.

i am not a native speaker, but this sentence doesn't sound too
positive. i might get the impression stuff was "rushed in". it also
sound a little like "bragging"?

try to remove "normally take years" from the sentence. "ideas" is a
little vague as well. are they features? optimizations?

"Many complex features were added to this release by our development team."

regards,

usleep

Re: [HACKERS] Release notes introductory text

От
Andrew Dunstan
Дата:
"Fortunately, most of these enhancements are automatic and require user
changes or tuning:"

ITYM "... do not require ..."

cheers

andrew

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> [ BCC to docs and hackers.  Sorry this seems like the only logical way
> to do this.]
>
> I have added the following introductory paragraph to the release notes:
>
>     This release represents a major leap forward by adding significant new
>     functionality and performance enhancements to
>     <productname>PostgreSQL</>. Many complex ideas that normally take years
>     to implement were added rapidly to this release by our development team.
>     This release starts <productname>PostgreSQL</> on a trajectory moving
>     beyond feature-parity with other database systems to a time when
>     <productname>PostgreSQL</> will be a technology leader in the database
>     field. Major new capabilities in this release include:
>
> The full release text with my edits to "major" and "migration" sections
> is included:
>
>     http://momjian.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release-8-3.html
>
> Comments?

Re: [HACKERS] Release notes introductory text

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 16:04 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>     This release represents a major leap forward by adding significant new
>     functionality and performance enhancements to
>     <productname>PostgreSQL</>. Many complex ideas that normally take years
>     to implement were added rapidly to this release by our development team.
>     This release starts <productname>PostgreSQL</> on a trajectory moving
>     beyond feature-parity with other database systems to a time when
>     <productname>PostgreSQL</> will be a technology leader in the database
>     field. Major new capabilities in this release include:

Well said.

PostgreSQL is already well beyond the open source pack and I can point
to many features that exist in commercial databases that have their
origin in our code base. PostgreSQL has long been a focal point for
Computer Science research and we should shout about it.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com