Обсуждение: mysql woes

mysql woes

От
Robert Bernier
Дата:
for the gossips among us, something interesting

http://www.planetmysql.org/#830

robert

Re: mysql woes

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
On 10/12/2005 10:22 AM, Robert Bernier wrote:
> for the gossips among us, something interesting
>
> http://www.planetmysql.org/#830

This one is good reading too ... seems the folks at SleepyCat are having
a good time:

http://devtoe.blogspot.com/2005/10/oracle-buys-innodb-will-fork-save.html

Jan

Re: mysql woes

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Interesting that he didn't test RI, which AFAIK doesn't work with
MyISAM. But of course he didn't mention the real issue
(transaction/ACID), so what do you expect...

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 10:22:58AM -0400, Robert Bernier wrote:
> for the gossips among us, something interesting
>
> http://www.planetmysql.org/#830
>
> robert

Re: mysql woes

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 02:30:37PM -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Interesting that he didn't test RI, which AFAIK doesn't work with
> MyISAM.  But of course he didn't mention the real issue
> (transaction/ACID), so what do you expect...

As far as I can tell, the whole transaction/ACID business was never
important to anybody but MySQL's marketing department, so why should
they be concerned now?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: mysql woes

От
Simon Riggs
Дата:
On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:34 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> On 10/12/2005 10:22 AM, Robert Bernier wrote:
> > for the gossips among us, something interesting
> >
> > http://www.planetmysql.org/#830
>
> This one is good reading too ... seems the folks at SleepyCat are having
> a good time:
>
> http://devtoe.blogspot.com/2005/10/oracle-buys-innodb-will-fork-save.html

So, MySQL is not dead, but MySQL AB seems like it might be about to be.

Dual licencing relies upon MySQL's ability to sell product, which they
can only do now if i) they sell you MySQL without InnoDB or ii) Oracle
lets them charge money. Nobody would want to pay much for MySQL without
InnoDB, leaving MySQL AB beholden to Oracle.

Checkmate, Larry. Nice moves.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: mysql woes

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-10-12 at 12:34 -0400, Jan Wieck wrote:
> > On 10/12/2005 10:22 AM, Robert Bernier wrote:
> > > for the gossips among us, something interesting
> > >
> > > http://www.planetmysql.org/#830
> >
> > This one is good reading too ... seems the folks at SleepyCat are
> > having a good time:
> >
> > http://devtoe.blogspot.com/2005/10/oracle-buys-innodb-will-fork-save.html
> >

> So, MySQL is not dead, but MySQL AB seems like it might be about to be.
>
> Dual licencing relies upon MySQL's ability to sell product, which they
> can only do now if i) they sell you MySQL without InnoDB or ii) Oracle
> lets them charge money. Nobody would want to pay much for MySQL without
> InnoDB, leaving MySQL AB beholden to Oracle.

The other alternative is that MySQL is able to develop another
transactional storage engine quickly.

--
Alvaro Herrera                           Developer, http://www.PostgreSQL.org
"Coge la flor que hoy nace alegre, ufana. ¿Quién sabe si nacera otra mañana?"

Re: mysql woes

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:55:50PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> The other alternative is that MySQL is able to develop another
> transactional storage engine quickly.

Given how long it took them to develop sub-queries, stored procedures,
views, etc...

Re: mysql woes

От
"Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher"
Дата:
Also sprach Alvaro Herrera (alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org)
> Simon Riggs wrote:

> > Dual licencing relies upon MySQL's ability to sell product, which they
> > can only do now if i) they sell you MySQL without InnoDB or ii) Oracle
> > lets them charge money. Nobody would want to pay much for MySQL without
> > InnoDB, leaving MySQL AB beholden to Oracle.
>
> The other alternative is that MySQL is able to develop another
> transactional storage engine quickly.

What about Berkeley DB by Sleepycat? AFAIK it was already integrated
into MySQL.

--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE 0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
--

Daijouji Shigesuke in "Budo Shoshin Shuu"

Вложения

Re: mysql woes

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
On 10/12/2005 5:04 PM, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 05:55:50PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> The other alternative is that MySQL is able to develop another
>> transactional storage engine quickly.
>
> Given how long it took them to develop sub-queries, stored procedures,
> views, etc...

I think everybody knows that this is out of the question. Developing a
new transactional storage engine from scratch in the required timeframe
is unrealistic.

If they really lose InnoDB, the only alternative I see is to approach
SleepyCat and hope, Oracle isn't already talking to them. However, last
time I looked BDB did not have foreign key support or MVCC.

You remember those T-shirts with "Foreign keys - check"? What are we
going to see now ... "Foreign keys - you still don't really need them"?

Jan

Re: mysql woes

От
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Дата:
The MySQL 5.0 2PC/XA features also require InnoDB.  As does point in
time recovery, savepoints, row-level locks, transactions and foreign keys.

Chris