Обсуждение: Upgrade master / slave

Upgrade master / slave

От
Bertrand
Дата:
Hello,

Currently I use MySQL 5.6 but I plan to migrate to PostgreSQL.
My application uses two databases : the total volume is 1TB on my hard drives.

I made some tests on PostgreSQL administration but I have a problem with Master / Slave.

How to update the cluster master / slave with a very short break time ?
I tried to update a slave (9.3 => 9.4) and connect it to the master 9.3 but it doesn't work.

If I have to stop the master, migrate it to 9.4, start it and repeat these steps for the slaves the breaking time is really long.

I thank you in advance.

Bertrand

Re: Upgrade master / slave

От
Payal Singh
Дата:
You don't have to repeat the upgrade steps on slave after upgrading the master. Once master is upgraded (using link option with pg_upgrade takes the least amount of time http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/pgupgrade.html) you have to install the new binaries and then rebuild slave from the master. You don't have to upgrade slave separately. Although yes, rebuilding slave will take a while, till which your cluster will be standalone. However, actual downtime shouldn't be more than a few minutes.

Personally haven't used, but you might want to look into http://slony.info/documentation/1.2/versionupgrade.html and see if it can further reduce downtime, however it can be very complicated.

Payal Singh,
Database Administrator,
OmniTI Computer Consulting Inc.